Shop arrangement input wanted

Jeff Horton

Looking at a further refinement of my Lab. I am finding I don't like the shaper against the wall. I turn the fence 90 degrees sometimes and then the wall is in the way. The shaper doesn't have dust collection so chips go everywhere!!! Worse than a lathe. So I want to move it out in the open for better access in both use and cleaning up.

Here is what I have come up with and it seems like it will work well for me. But extra eyes are always a good thing.

Quick list of machines starting at the back wall. RAS and outfeed tables.
Table saw and outfeed (ignore the bent leg. It wasn't worth the effort to fix)
Jointer bench on the wall.
Then left to right. Smaller 6" jointer, Shaper, Band saw and scroll saw (back to back).
Drill presses with a stand with drawers in between them.
My big assembly bench. With the wall free behind it I am thinking wall storage, hanging clamp rack, peg board ect.
Compressor in the corner and there is door there.
My 12" jointer (if it ever gets here) and my planer will out of site over at the lumber rack along with other stuff that isn't getting moved.

So, anybody see any problems or improvements??

shop2.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, you look to have a nice set up and I only wish I had the space to lay out something like that. The one thing I might suggest is swapping sides for the TS and shaper. Here is my thought. From the TS, sheet goods would go straight to the assemble table and boards would go the the jointer then the RAS and shaper. It seems that the work flow may work better.

Keep us posted.

NO LATHE? :eek:

Calm down Frank, it's OK. I have a Broadhead Garret sitting on the other side of the shop. 3 phase with VFD. It's just camera shy. ;)

Ed. I will try that and see what happens. Got to love Sketchup!

I prefer my TS and RAS together because my wood comes straight out of the wood rack to the RAS or the TS first thing. Usually cut to length and then rip. But you may be on to something there. Then it usually goes to the jointer and planer. There will be a bigger jointer out of site (near the lathe Frank) with the planner once it finally gets here and gets restored. The one in the sketch will be replaced with a short bed 6" for small work.

I have the shaper and the Assy table swapped now. Shaper against the wall is bad news! With no dust collection that is. I like the table in between them but it's just very aggravating.

Jeff, your shop layout looks very similar to ours. I would suggest that you put the big jointer and the planer together and move the shaper to another location. Reason: you will rip or crosscut your lumber to nominal (oversize) then take it to the planer and jointer. You will be carting the big pieces back across the shop, then back to the TS or RAS for final cutting to size. The shaper is used for smaller pieces that are easier to move around. Try putting the shaper where you have the bandsaw and scrollsaw, and move those two pieces where you were planning to put the planer and jointer. Look at your workflow--you don't want to be carting those bigger pieces of lumber back and forth across the shop, I don't think.

Question: where are you going to put your drum sander, edge sander, mortising machine, 13-pin boring machine, hinge-boring machine, sharpening station......and all your small tools like routers, drills, jigsaws, etc.?:D :huh:

Just my suggestions.

Nancy

Calm down Frank, it's OK. I have a Broadhead Garret sitting on the other side of the shop. 3 phase with VFD. It's just camera shy. ;)

Ed. I will try that and see what happens. Got to love Sketchup!

I prefer my TS and RAS together because my wood comes straight out of the wood rack to the RAS or the TS first thing. Usually cut to length and then rip. But you may be on to something there. Then it usually goes to the jointer and planer. There will be a bigger jointer out of site (near the lathe Frank) with the planner once it finally gets here and gets restored. The one in the sketch will be replaced with a short bed 6" for small work.

I have the shaper and the Assy table swapped now. Shaper against the wall is bad news! With no dust collection that is. I like the table in between them but it's just very aggravating.

Whew! I woodena made it through the day otherwise. ;) :wave:

couple of things

first i have a rolling table that would work well for your work flow mine is similar. they are used alot in warehouses it has a top shelf and a bottom shelf which yuou could use for transporting long and short stuff has shopping cart type handle on one end.. you get the picture.. not knowing the length ahead of the table saw i woul allow the same distance in frt as the back for ripping. the shaper in my opinion and from what i have seen should be out in the open as you now have it.. the band saw and scroll saw could be moved to the wall as they are usually fiorshort intricate stuff rather than being in the middle of the shop.. the small jointer, not your bigg daddy thats comin could along the left siude of your table saw and would be a easier hook up for DC unless it interfers with your acess to your motor access.. and the height can be adjust to be lower than the table saws table. in my hope to have shop i am going to have mine slide under the radial table on some heavy duty rollers like stu did..yup i am quilty of stealin ideas too :) oh and if there is chance you could send me that sketup pic i wouldlove to use those pieces for my layout.. thanks looked impressive.

It looks good, but what are the dimensions of this space?

Easy question first. The space shown is 16 x 30 give or take a couple of inches. Daylight basement. I have a door to deal with by the Air compressor that leads to the storm room. The space in front of the jointer is where I pull in vehicle for repairs. Serves as a assembly space and a space to disassemble a machine, set up saw horses ect. I can't tie it up with anything that is not movable.

....Try putting the shaper where you have the bandsaw and scrollsaw, and move those two pieces where you were planning to put the planer and jointer.

Some good points. I have the Assy table where the shaper is now. So big boards go from the TS to it typically. Moving it does make me walk a bit further. And Planer and jointer will be back behind what I show here. Of course I often set up saw horses near the TS in the open space for staging. That really helps.

But since it's so easy I may try a totaly new rearrangement. Just dread the thoughts of moving wiring to provide 220 in the right places but........

Question: where are you going to put your drum sander, edge sander, mortising machine, 13-pin boring machine, hinge-boring machine, sharpening station......and all your small tools like routers, drills, jigsaws, etc.?:D :huh:

Huh?? Not sure what some of that is or why I would need it??? ;)
Seriously there is storage under all the benches. Lots of drawers. The TS outfeed isn't used but when the space is needed it will be used. And there is more space that is not shown in this drawing. And I totally forgot about the edge sander I bought at auction. It needs to be drawn up and included in here.

...not knowing the length ahead of the table saw i would allow the same distance in frt as the back for ripping. the shaper in my opinion and from what i have seen should be out in the open as you now have it.. the band saw and scroll saw could be moved to the wall as they are

Larry, the RAS and TS are in this position now. It works out really well. Only time I have a problem is if I have a car or tractor in there because it is right in front of the saw. But if I do, I am not woodworking. I am fixing something that is broken so woodworking comes to a halt.

Got to get the shaper out so I can clean up around it. Plus I rotate the fence and work off two different sides of the shaper too. So out in the open it a must. Small jointer and scroll saw can go most anywhere. Just want them handy and prefer open area if I can. Makes clean up around them easier.

You guys made me think some more so going to keep messing with this and see what else I can come up with. Back the drawing board.......... computer that is.

OH YEA. Larry, I downloaded these machines. I will find the link to the site and post it. I had to modify them to be the same size as mine and created a couple of them. But they sure are handy!!

Jeff

shop3.jpg

Here is a full view of the Lab. Moved some stuff around but I keep coming back to this arrangement. Of course once I start using it I may change it. This is actually pretty close to what I have now.

Planner is a wheels so it is usually moved to the center to plan lumber. Add a set of saw horses to hold the lumber between the table saw and jointer.

To bad it doesn't show all the 'stuff' I have stored it there. :eek:

Jeff

Last edited:
Something just doesn't seem to scale to me. 16x30 is smaller than my shop, and you seem to have a lot more free space and stuff than I do.

If it is right, I don't really see anything I would change.

Jeff, I don't have any suggestions but I just wanted to compliment you both on your use of Scetchup and on the layout. I really think that I get the feel of the layout with what you have shown us.

Is it really not possible to rig up some sort of after market chip collection on your shaper? I have installed something after the fact that works OK both on my drill press and on my Kreg Pocket hole drilling jig. I know that they don't create the same volume of chips as a shaper but I would think that the technique to rig up something would be similar.

Just getting back. Was out of town.

Thanks Frank, I do feel I am starting to get the hand of SU thanks at least in part to Super Dave's help. Just to be clear, many of these machines were predrawn. I drew some, but not most of them. I put the link up in the Design forum. I found another set I need to add the link too.

As for the shaper, yes a dust hood can be fabricated but I don't have dust collection in the Lab yet. It is on my list, just not in my budget right now. A few more horse trades on some machines and that may change. I have settled on a Clearvue and looking at somewhere near $1500 installed, maybe more. Just don't have that kind of money laying around. So mean time my dust collection is a broom and shovel.

Jeff