Going to Africa

Les Elm

A customer brought me a Norma .470 Nitro Express nickle plated de-primed casing and a Woodleigh .470 Nitro Express .474 500 GR FMJ projectile and wanted to see if I could make him a pen to take to Africa for his hunting guide friend who uses this ammunition.

This is what I managed to come up with and put a piece of Whitetail deer antler in the primer hole.

A bit cumbersome to write with but I'm sure it will be a great conversation piece as it can actually be chambered into an express type rifle.

Will be interesting to hear how he has figured out how to get it through security, I think his wife will have a lot to do with getting it through.

DSC07772.jpg

DSC07776.jpg

DSC07780.jpg

DSC07790.jpg

The .470 Nitro Express is a cartridge developed in England for very large or dangerous game hunting. This cartridge is used almost exclusively in single shot and double express rifles for hunting in the tropics or hot climate. It is in wide use in the Southern and Central-East African region, favored by hunting guides, primarily while out for Cape buffalo and elephant.

Les

the best way to get that threw is have it inspected by customs before leaving, and to have it dis-assembled during the flight procedure. looks very deciving as it is together.. when at the customs office get papers to show the other customs officers.

A true case of the pen being mightier than the sword. ;)

I really like the spot of antler in the primer pocket, too. :thumb: