storing turning tools ?

jim capozzi

hi all

ok so how do you guys and gals store your turning tools ? i have a friend of mine who would like me to make her a storage,display box for her turning tools (5 full size and 5 micro size ) right now. i am sure this number will grow over time. i am looking for ideas here, do you store yours like this or use a diffrent method ? pictures would be most appreciated . lets see what you use :huh:

thanks for the help grizzly

Here's one I made a while back but soon out grew it.
mvc-310toolholder.jpg

Really nice!

Wow guys, those storage units are really nice. Great ideas. Once I get to set-up my own shop I'll use your ideas. :rolleyes:

Wood magazine, Issue 176, May 2007, on page 14, has a plan for a swing-arm lathe-tool holder that slides into the opening between the lathe ways. If anyone is interested, I can scan the page and post it.

Nancy

This is a temp. holder, as I am building a large cabinet based wall system for the lathe "stuff". I plan to use this overall concept but with a more compact design with multi-level doors they will be mounted on to.
The pipe is 1.5" PVC and when I do them again, I plan to glue the pipes edge to edge and then cut the angle on the table saw in one sweep.

My new layout will have the most used tools on the outside of a hinged door on my wall cabinet. Open that door and there will be more on the backside and on a second door on the inside. This inner door will open to show a 4th layer and maybe even a layer on the back panel, or this will be used for other storage of little used items. The concept is based on a shop-notes wall tool storage cabinet.

Here is the "temp" rack:
wood-rack.jpg

You know, that is probably as clear as mud. Here is a link to the shop notes plan that will make up the middle of my "lathe station" http://plansnow.com/pegboard.html There will be a normal cabinet on each side of this one with a normal cabinet door. One side will hold all my pen kit boxes while the other side will be storage shelves on the top and a couple drawers for chucks and stuff. Special jigs will be kept on the shelves. I plan to make a row of shallow drawers along the full length mounted under the 3 cabinet width station for more stuff. I may also make one of these dedicated to lathe chucks & tools of the like. It's a big project that has been evolving over time but I hope to be posting photos this summer.

Last edited:
Here's the one I currently use, I got the idea from a good friend of mine, Bob Watsek.
I did a few modifications from his but still its basically the same.

MVC-287S.jpg

I added two of Rockler's magnet bars to hold various things as well as hooks on the under side to hang things from. The tray that houses the chucks and stuff has a lip on all three sides to keep things from rolling off. I have plastic running up the wall to keep plastic liquid from soaking the wall as I turn wet wood. The plastic comes up beyond my tool storage and I use that part as a holder of manuals and sand paper.