his and her vanities

SS853083.jpgSS853084.jpg

These are 2 maple vanities I finished for someone. they are his and her vanities that go on opposing walls. the cases are birch and the face frames and drawers are hard maple. I used rough material and milled it all in the shop. They are a custom 35" high. thats why there was room for the wide drawer on the bottom. the picture makes them look more glossy than they really are because of the flash. I had to go back over to their house to take the picture because I forgot to do it in my shop so the flash was needed because there is no light in the garage, hence the glossy look. its actually shellac which , to me, looks kinda satiny.

Looking good Keith:thumb: I really like the full bottom drawer. Just curious, why the 35"? are your clients tall or just wanted the drawer feature, I ask because I am getting ready to build a vanity for my son and DIL and they are tall are were considering a taller vanity but decided to stay with standard for future resale of their home.

They look great, Keith. :thumb:

Tom, our kitchen in LA has the sink (and the countertop around it) raised about 3 or 4 inches higher than what's standard. The previous owner is tall, and she had the sink installed that way when she remodeled the kitchen a few years before we bought it. As a relatively tall guy myself, I really like it that way. I'd think it'd be handy in a bathroom, too.

They look great, Keith. :thumb: ...As a relatively tall guy myself, I really like it that way. I'd think it'd be handy in a bathroom, too.

I'm not particularly tall (5'9"), but both our bathroom vanities are at 36" - the same height as 'standard' kitchen countertops. We (wife and I) find it much more comfortable than having to bend over to wash our hands, etc.

Looking good Keith:thumb: I really like the full bottom drawer. Just curious, why the 35"? are your clients tall or just wanted the drawer feature, I ask because I am getting ready to build a vanity for my son and DIL and they are tall are were considering a taller vanity but decided to stay with standard for future resale of their home.

As a couple of other guys have said the extra height works nice. The lady of the house is actually pretty short. I would say 5'3" tops. The contractor remodeling her bath recommended that she use the same height as a kitchen counter. The only reason I can think of for vanities to be made shorter may be for kids. I can't think of any other reason why the shorter height is standard.

Se was a little unsure about it until I told her she could have that bottom drawer. that cinched the height question.

Thanks for all the nice replies.

I plan to re-do the vanity in my Arizona house bathroom and it will be higher. I am not, but I don't like bending. Frankly, I think it will help the resale of the house, rather than hurt it. People are taller than 50 years ago, and many more people have bad backs and don't like bending. My 2 cents.

another vote for making it the height you want it tom,, they say they are gonna sell and that is great but till then be happy and comfortable and like others have said now days the height feels better,, i dislike the short ones alot...