Comission deadline coming up quick!!

Jeff Bower

Back in October I agreed to make around 100 awards for a local equestrian center's horse show. The first horse show is in exactly 60 days. (It will include a bit of flatwork, 5 of the banks and 12 of the mirrors shown in the other thread), but the first set of awards will be mostly turned. I need to turn 20 of the "bowl like" awards and the one big vase for the grand prix winner. I've got 7 of the "bowl like" awards completed and most of the others turned and ready for the second turn. I used walnut, oak and maple. The big vase, shown still on the faceplate, is all done now except for some final finishing and wood burning...oh a bit of a gloat, I have a woodburner now too! I'll update with pics of it all when they are done.

Now I remember why I turn for the fun of it.:doh: A commision with a deadline isn't fun, but it will pay well. Next round of awards are due in July and another group in August. I won't be putting it off as long next time! :rolleyes: :D

Attachments

• IMAG0262.jpg
    IMAG0262.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 232.jpg
    232.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 71
I got 7 more awards turned and branded as of yesterday...only 6 more to go. Had some of my blanks crack pretty bad so I needed some more wood. Since he's out of town and I'm mowing his lawn while he's gone, I raided my dads wood pile for some more seasoned walnut last night that should give me enough to finish up. Don't worry, I asked him first.:p Got all the wood cut for the flatwork as well. Should be able to assemble it all in a weekend :rolleyes: Then I need to transfer some text and burn it in. Tested how to do that and reversing text and using a transfer burner tip works outstanding...getting closer!:D

Attachments

• IMAG0354.jpg
    IMAG0354.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0348.jpg
    IMAG0348.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 44
we wouldnt have told on you, afterall, if you borrow something from your dad its ok.

btw, good luck saturday night, even though Im shooting for ohio state, any team that got this far is a top notch team.

Well I do have some freshly cut walnut he can get his hands on too...

And thanks Allen, should be a couple of great games. Hopfully the Jayhawks can get thru to Monday!

Finally finished turning the last 4 of the "bowl" awards last night. That's 21 of them in the pic, I have 22 in total. So happy to have that finished! Just need to burn/transfer the company name/logo onto them. (You can see one with that done in the lower right corner.) Slap some finish on them and call it good. Then to finish the mirrors and coin banks and a brush box. :doh:I was out of commission 4 days last week with the flu, so I'm a bit behind but that's nothing new. They need to be delivered on May 6th! Exactly 20 days.... :eek:

I also need to do some cleaning around the lathe I think...It's almost all walnut too so into the woods it goes.

Attachments

• IMAG0499.jpg
    IMAG0499.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0497.jpg
    IMAG0497.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 33
Got lots of wood burner text tranfer done this weekend and also got the mirror frames built and branded. The pic with the paper and blue tape shows how I'm transferring the print to the wood. Reverse text image printed on a laser printer transfers pretty well using a wood burner. Should have no problem getting this finished up by the end of the week now. (Deadline it May 5th) Was going to put some finish on the "bowl" awards, but it was cool and very damp so that will have to wait til mid week when we might see 80 degrees! The walnut should pop pretty well with the oil. Can't wait to get this done so I can move on to something I WANT to do instead of something I MUST do.

Attachments

• IMAG0523.jpg
    IMAG0523.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0526.jpg
    IMAG0526.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20120422_164812.jpg
    IMG_20120422_164812.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20120421_104244.jpg
    IMG_20120421_104244.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 19
All 20 "bowl" awards are now finished!! Got all 8 mirror frames finished (just need to put the mirrors in). Now just need to get some finish on the big vase. The 5 coin banks are all branded and burned, just need to assemble and get some finish on them. The brush box is assembled, just need to transfer/burn it and get some finish on it. I took this friday off from work thinking I'd need it to get this all done, but I think I will be done on Thursday night. That means I can spend Friday in the shop all day doing whatever I want!! :D

Attachments

• IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0546.jpg
    IMAG0546.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 16
Thanks all... Yes Vaughn I will be doing some clean up. Most of my blanks are buried under shavings right now. Plus the place I'm taking the shavings to dump has a ton of wood for me to pick over as well! :D