Stickley #599 Trestle Table Build

Thanks Larry.
In my haste to get all the clamps on that one is at a bit of an angle.:eek:
The clamps do bend as they are extended 42" but the pic is giving an illusion of it being bent more than it actually is.

How Flat is Flat.

Tonight I got to see how well we did with this big glue up on the top..
The good face is up so I spent a half hour getting it real close to ready for the finish.
My straight edge showed me I had a real small negative camber on the top side...
This is going to make for a little more prep work on the back side.

We then flipped the beast onto the face and gave the back side a quick clean up with a rotax sander with 120 grit in it.
Then with the help of the boss we laid out the lines to make sure the top was going to be square.
A couple quick cuts with my track saw and we have the final dimension of the top 86"X42"

sanding top 1.jpg

Now to see how the leg lays on the top...
Remember I said the top had a very slight camber.
I knew the back side would be a convex... But with just a little extra sanding it is sitting pretty well.
All in all I'm real happy how flat this glue up came out, being the size it is..
So we are going to say this one was real flat.:thumb:

sanding top 2.jpg

Now to do the other end and then finish sanding on the whole back side and get those legs sitting just so.
Before we flip it again I will lay out the dowels the top will sit in.
My wife made a comment asking if it is really necessary.
She knows first hand how heavy this puppy is...:D

Last edited:
Sneak Peek...

Tonight with the bottom sanded and ready for the finish I put the table together.
Upside down mind you, but together never the less...
Got the :thumb::thumb: from the boss again tonight so all is good...

ready for finish.jpg

And one quick shot with a little rotating of the pic.
This one is kind of eery... I haven't seen to many 300 lb. floating tables..

ready for finish_2.jpg

With this sneak peek of how it's going to look finished I'm real happy how this one has come together.

So a question to all.
If you had built a table like this what would you use as a finishing schedule?
I want it real dark to keep with the original style. And with not a glossy top coat.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am currenlty building the stickley spindle chairs from BoB Lang's drawings. I just ordered the trestle table plans and VOILA! There is your blog post. Thanks for showing your work. THis helps me in organizing my next project ahead.