I think I need to have Nancy put into rehab (by Dave)

Nancy Laird

She hasn't yet turned anything on a lathe except some pens, but it seems that she has the bug really bad, and now I'm thinking of putting her into turner's rehab.

This morning we were headed to breakfast and took a turn through a neighborhood where I noticed that a house was being re-roofed. She told me a few minutes later that she came within a millisecond of telling me to stop, as there was a tree in the yard that had been taken down and cut into chunks about 18"--and her first thought was "turning blanks!!" :eek: Don't know what kind of tree it was/is, or how the stuff would turn, but her first thought was "turning blanks." We already have a box of blanks from John Hart, a supply of 400 or so pen blanks, some stopper blanks, and very little time in which to turn, so I don't know what she would have done with that wood, but her first though was TURNING BLANKS.

Then she asked me where our chain saw is (I sold it several years ago), and said we probably need to buy a new one. :huh: I see where this is going. We have a midi, we have an Atlas that was my dad's (50-plus years old) that works just okay, so soon she's going to be bugging me for a bigger lathe. The abyss is alive and well and swirling at my house. I think she needs rehab already.

Me? I still like my f---work.

Dave

You're spinning your wheels trying to fight it, Dave. The abyss is strong once it takes hold of someone. May as well buy her a nice lathe and stand back. Resistance is futile. :rofl:

I don't think that you understand.

I work for Woodworker's Supply and I have the availability to get a #1 lathe.

The only other problem is where do i put it?

So, where do I send her for rehab?

Dave

I don't think that you understand.

I work for Woodworker's Supply and I have the availability to get a #1 lathe.

The only other problem is where do i put it?

So, where do I send her for rehab?

Dave

:huh: :huh: :huh: :dunno:

AA Lathe'rs :dunno:

Dave it does no good to fight it. I have been married 40 yrs. and learned a long time ago you aren't going to win. Buddy just buy her the big lathe, get her a big stihl chainsaw and all will be well.

Gooooo Nancy.

While you are at it, buy her a flak jacket and an industrial type face shield. With the big lathe she'll be launching bowls in no time at all. :rofl: :rofl:

I'm glad that the closest I've come to the lathe abyss was merely by being part of this forum.:D
Then you probably don't want to see this pic. It's a natural edge bowl I "did" last night. ;)

Dave,

You know where to go for a chainsaw and lots of logs, albeit juniper and pinon. But what the heck, they are free.

Turning blanks?? Yea I do the same thing too! I brought home 2 "logs" for turning blanks.. I would of brought home more, but even with my rear seat out of the Jeep it was all I could fit.

These weigh in the 325lb range EACH. (yea, I did weigh them!)

96 year old oak they were about 25" x 25"
log.jpg

You people are in denial. THERE IS NO CURE!!!
This is why it is refered to as THE ABYSS. 'It' is related to black holes and some pysicists believe the disease is somehow related to the birthing of new black holes. The theory has something to do with having a persons head in close proximity to spinning masses with their vision fixed on said spinning mass. It is suspected that time is warped and lost forever. It may cause a reciprical liquifying of brain tissue, or at least a tangleing of synaptic pathways. This damage is permanant. The only know respit from this disease is to ausage the wound with frequent applications of new wood species. The wood figure and type must be changed regularly or it will lose it's effect of calming the affected victum down. Sometimes new tools can help, especialy new types that the victum hasn't been exposed to yet. New lathes are NOT recommended. They will only cause more damage and accelerate the disease process.

Hope this helps........Paul, survivor for 3 years now.

A woman asks to use a chain saw to cut turning wood! And then begs to buy a new and bigger lathe!! :-o
That is too cool!
I need to go add that to my list of requirements of what I want in my future wife, right next to being able to drive standard. lol ;)

My dad would not let me get my driver's license - lo these many years ago - until I knew how to drive a stick shift. I drove a stick until about 10-12 years ago when my knees finally gave out. I haven't actually ASKED for the bigger lathe and the chain saw yet--but LOML knows it's coming!!

Nancy