practice, finished.

Well i have had this schrade knife for years. I bought it for my dad in 1989 Well when he passed in 94, i got it back. It had one of them green rubber handles. Well the handle wore out, and i didn't want to get rid of it for reasons all ready said.Today i thought i'd make a handle for it. After starting on the handle, David Keller offered me some Aussie burl. Well as i all ready had started on it, i thought i'd use this one as pracice.:D So what ya think? think this is a good design, or should i change it when i get the good stuff?186 [800x600].JPG194 [800x600].JPG201 [800x600].JPG204 [800x600].JPG205 [800x600].JPG207 [800x600].JPG

Last edited:
the only thing i can see that i would check not neccessarily change is the position of the frnt finger steve if it feels go save it if it acts like the wood needs to be more forward then use some of the cheaper wood to check out the design first.. but feel will tell you if its right..

Your off to a good start and it's looking good! :thumb: Reminds me that I've got a couple of knife blanks stored away somewhere, would be a quick project for me to get in sometime...just need to figure out what box I packed them in out here.

Personally I like what you've done, but hold off and see what the burl looks like...may be worth the wait.

Also, Don't run that through the dishwasher. my wife did that to my chef's knife I made a couple of years back. The steam popped the epoxied handles right off. Luckily I had pinned them, so they are still on there. Use the heck out of that knife when I'm in the mood to cook.

Looks good so far, Steve. Like Larry said, the feel will tell you when it's right.

Darren, my wife knows there'd be a hangin' at our house if I ever saw her washing my cooking knives in the dishwasher. :p

thanks guys. it does feel prutty good just the way it is, but as this is the first time i ever done a knife before, thought i'd ask. this knife woun't be used for cooking it will be most likey just be put up till hunting season. That's what dad used it for, so will do the same. Saw some pics David sent me of the Amboya burl that i picked out from his stash. They ought to look sharp.

I see some nice knives in your future. :thumb: For such a funny-looking fella, the ol' Doc is a pretty good guy.

(I can say that because I don't think he reads this forum.) :rofl:

Steve, that came out simply beautiful. I'm sure your father would be proud. The craftsmanship you did is inspiring. Nice wood too. Bet it feels good in your hand too.