spark plug oddessy

Frank Fusco

I have had my generator for over two years now. It gets run about once a month for a half hour just to keep it happy. Yesterday I changed the break-in oil. Today I changed the spark plug. But not without much time, gasoline and frustration being expended.
First I took the old one to our Orlschien's store. Asked the lady clerk where small engine spark plugs were kept. She looked at me and said, "You mean for cars?". I said, "Never mind" and went looking for a man to help. Found one. He couldn't match the plug number.
Went to Lowe's, asked the lady working in the gas powered lawn equipment department for help. She wanted to know generator brand. I told her. She couldn't find it in the book. I then asked if she could cross-reference the plug number. She said she just did. I said, "No you tried to look up the generator, please try to cross reference the plug with another brand." Blank stare told me she didn't know what "cross reference" meant. I asked her if she knew what "cross reference" meant. She continued staring. I went to customer service and looked for a man who might know what that meant. Got a nice guy. He had a portable computer thingy that he could cross reference with. But it was no help. Another girl clerk got involved. She found one she said cross referenced with mine. I took it home. But I wanted to be sure it was correct. Hate ruining a 10KW generator.
So, I called the U.S. warranty company. After many long holds a girl gave me a part number for an NGK spark plug.
Two hours later, after calling around the county trying to find that plug with no success I was finally told that number did not exist in the parts catalog.
I called the generator company back. After more long-long holds I got a guy who confirmed the number I was given did not exist. In fact, it did not even resemble the correct number. He gave me another number.
I called the friendly auto parts store across the county and he had what I needed. Went there, got it, came home and installed
Probably four gallons of gasoline involved in this venture. A nice way to spend a sunny day and about six hours. NOT! :bang::mad:

Like that old commercial used to say..." parts is parts" :rofl:
I feel for you Frank, but on the other end of the spectrum, my wife has been in the after-market auto parts biz for 30 something years. She's seen the reverse many times...a fella will come in with an old plug, no markings what so ever, and when the Mrs asks him what make, model etc did it come from, she gets that 'deer in the headlights' expression from them, usually followed by something like "I don't know, Briggs & sears by Tecumseh or whatever it's called... :doh:

One more....she once told a guy she could cross reference a part if he'd wait a minute, he said not to bother as he had never heard of 'Cross' parts and wasn't going to take a chance on an unknown company :rofl:

All you can do smile and move on :thumb:

Myrna has been off of food for a few days. She requested a chocolate shake. I went to McDonalds. It took quite a while because 3 clerks were not sure the order that was up was for the man waiting for it. The only people in the store were me (who came in after the above discussion was going on), 3 counter people and some kids out in the play area. We really needed Sherlock Holmes to figure out who the sack of food was for. He even told them what was in the sack. They would not let the guy look in the sack and confirm that it was his. These people are in way over their ability or they have had terrible, if any, training.

In the area where I grew up and where I played doctor was the largest McDonalds in the world. It was three stories. It had 22 registers. It was the epitomy of efficiency. No wait, no screw ups, Just darn great service.

Enjoy,

JimB