What once was lost...

Roger Tulk

brought my two sided waterstone into my den last fall, as the temps were getting low. I added a 4000 grit stone in the early winter, and also stored it in the den. While I was in hospital for 18 days in January, my daughters came home and decided one night to tidy up my den. Now, women and men have fundamentally different ideas of what constitutes 'tidy.' To me it means that I can see everything, and the things I need most often are within reach, where I left them. To the lovely women in my family, 'tidy' means put in boxes with lids on them so you get to play 'button, button' with a half dozen lidded boxes until you find the one that has the stuff you want. Not to mention that they will put chisels and screwdrivers in the same box.

Today I wanted to start sharpening some planes I bought in the fall. I was able to find the new stone, as it was still in the Lee Valley bag, but the other, with the 1000 grit surface, was nowhere to be seen. It certainly wasn't next to my humidor where I had left it in November. I finally did a 'jail search' (was once a jail guard) of my den, turning over every book, magazine, CD, camera part or anything else that might sonceal a 8" x3" waterstone. Of course, it turned up in the last place I could have looked, on a shelf in the closet next to some old garden lighting fixtures.

There's a moral to this. If your wife or daughters offer to tidy up your shop or other male space, LOCK IT UP, AND HIDE!!

Well my wife is a "Finder." When I lose something I go in the house and ask for Sherlock. "I've been looking for __x___ for two hours." She finds it in less than ten minutes and she doesn't even know what it is.

We definitely have different ideas about how an office should look. That is why we have two offices in the house. I will leave it to you to figure out which one has a desk that is almost empty (desk calendar, couple pens and pencils, stapler, telephone, calculator and lamp) and which one has a desk that extends around three of the office walls. It has to be that big to hold all of the stuff I have on it---I always seem to have ten projects going. I have a ten-project body and a one-project mind.

Don't know how or why I was so lucky to get that woman.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
There was a cardinal rule at my dad's, dad's house administered by Grandma; "Never touch ANYTHING in Grandpa's shop". I now can respect where she was coming from. If we kids moved something from one end of the bench to the other, she would hear about it ;-0. One of the things that keeps me a bachelor; I can set a #4 lock washer on the corner of the kitchen table and when I come back for it a week later, its setting right there.

yup i can relate to that one glenn,, also i have said many times to leave it right there so i can see it then i can find it later.. dont put it away then its lost:)

bring a machete:)

Well, she did tell me that she "cleaned up" the driveway and threw away any of the wood out here that was cracked. Problem is, she doesn't know the difference between end checks and real cracks. I had some very large mesquite blanks out there, and I'm hoping she didn't toss what was potentially a couple thousand dollars worth of finished pieces. :bang: