Anyone heard from Cynthia?

Hello All; I have Cynthia's permission to copy her email msg to me.

Hello my dear friends:

Everything is okay guys, and thanks for the birthday wishes. Sorry I've been a poor correspondent.

I've had 2 eye surgeries since January. Cataract surgeries which are normally very quick, easy, and without complication except when your name is Cynthia. First one seemed to go fine until all of sudden I had a "Posterior Vitreous Detachment" which is not serious on the face of it—and most people get it as they age—but I had mine all of sudden and had/have lots of major floaters like the Hindenburg. Cobwebs, grains of pepper, you name it, I've had it in front of the "good" eye. Plus it makes you more at risk for retina problems which run in my family.

Just had the 2nd operation on Monday. The dr. says it looks "great". However, it itches like hell, and I fell like I have the Sahara Desert in my eye. But of course, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TOUCH IT. So I'm mad like a hornet and loaded for bear.

I'm trying desperately to plant trees here before they bud i.e. RIGHT NOW. This is proving extremely difficult and frustrating because I'm not supposed to be outside in the wind and dust. It's still pretty cold here, so I'm outside with coveralls and safety goggles and look like a supreme nutcase.

The "good" eye (operated in Jan) is very nearsighted, so looking at anything is not so easy (old prescription doesn't work), and the new surgical eye is still blurry, so TV is out, and basically I can hardly see at all.

So for my dear friends who are concerned, I'm okay. Just generally mad at the world. No woodworking, no reading, very limited gardening, and frankly, limited computer because I have to get like 6" from the screen for now. All of this should resolve in the near future…..I'm told…..

The good news is my daughter, Rachel, got 3 acceptances/offers for the Ph.D. Programs she applied to, and has chosen U. California at Santa Barbara. A full ride, I'm happy to report, with a stipend for 6 years. The cost of living is very high in Santa Barbara so she'll need a little help, but everything else is paid: tuition, med insurance, fees. She got the Chancellor's Fellowship, the highest (graduate school) award they offer, given to only 2-3 students per year from all the faculties combined. I'm very proud and happy.

So please don't be annoyed with me, my friends, that I write to the four of you together. It saves me from having to write each of you individually. Thanks for the kind birthday wishes. I had a nice birthday. I have to go now and put 17 drops in my eye for the 20th time today.

Love
Cynthia

This is the 2nd msg. rec'd with permission for you all to see!

Yes, dear, you are welcome to post that whole letter (and this one if you want) on the forum.

I was lying down, and Brian won't disturb me for the phone. It's been raining and snowing all day, and if you can't woodwork, garden, read or watch TV, then you might as well lie down!

Lying down is an ordeal by itself, of course. I have to patch the eye that was just operated on and keep my head elevated. I've discovered that if I lie in just the right position with my head turned to the side, then I can't see anything at all!

So picture me in my giant "chair and a half" with 2 bulldogs in my lap in front of a blazing fire. Brian is very attentive, and I keep reminding him it's my Birthday Month. Haha. Occasionally he grumbles that he's going to strangle my doctor if this doesn't improve soon. It will improve soon; I'm sure. And having a doting husband is not bad at all.

Love cynthia

Last edited: