New Bed

Ned Bulken

This weekend's project has been building the LOML a new bed frame.

43c80203.jpg

c8026a68.jpg

046d7454.jpg

46738a5e.jpg

e11d39da.jpg

a889be56.jpg

Welll... at least I don't need a board stretcher...

SO... the last bed I made, I managed to make it just a wee bit tight to the box spring...

The LOML pointed this out to me the other day... and said 'Don't forget to add some room this time...'

SO I did, in Both dimensions...
311d38d4.jpg

Doesn't Look bad...
only when we put the box spring in... it has barely 1/2" on either edge supported by the 2x4's. and almost 3" of room to spare... on both edges...

SO, since it is well past dark, I'm really tired from pushing hard to get this done today, we're going to sleep in the guest room tonight. Tomorrow we'll dis-assemble the frame, and the two end rails are going to get cut down so there is just about an inch on either side... going to screw in a spacer on the headboard end (Lori says she'll get claustrophobic with that tall vertical piece) and the headboard will be re-designed just a tad... ) Can you say 'design opportunity"? I thought you could.

I keep my board shrinker in the same cabinet as the board stretcher and sky hook. Never know when I might need to use one of them. :D

c1522581.jpg

08374f39.jpg

5d038327.jpg

2x8's for the legs, 2x6's for rails and further support (under the 2x4 support rails, as well as under the side rails).

As usual, still needs a coat of finish (I'm going to stick to my guns, and next weekend it will get at least 2 coats of poly on it.

Nice job on the joints Ned.

LOL - At the books under the bed! I've got about eight books all at various stages of being read under my side. Wife has the nightstand more than an arms reach away from the bed....like I'm going to get out of bed to put my book down.