Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I buy what I need, toss out the extras

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Personalized custom storage

Votes: 35 47.3%

• Total voters

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Help! I'm becoming overrun with hardware. Every time I embark on a new project I wind up with new screws, hinges, latches, and what-have-you that are different than what I already have which means a new storage place needs to be found. I have a msh-mosh of cheap plastic drawers, hanging bins, coffee cans, etc., all over the shop. Finding what I need can sometime (almost always) be a real challenge.

How do you manage the hardware monster?:dunno:

You've got me beat already, I just have a big rubbermaid tub with a couple of baskets in it for the smaller stuff. Been meaning to get them put on a spreadsheet or something with a picture to inventory what I do have. Need to do the same with odd and end of fasteners I have.

I have all sorts on this one.

In the early days i used glass jars but after the first one broke i got rid of glass.

I now use peanut butter jars. Plastic ones. We eat enough of the stuff that i have more than i can use. The have a nice broad unrestricted opening and two turn lid and crystal clear after clean up.

I also have small plastic draws on my wallls a hang over from my electronics hobby days when i had a single draw per resistor. I find these either too small or too big but i have found they work for screws so i got one dedicated to brass screws and one to steel screws. (will get some cell phone pics and update my post).

I also have plastic trays that some of the hardware came in and those are shoved in draws so access is not easy.

Then draws and unpacked boxes abound.

I purchased some cheap plastic bins from the depot intent on making a unit that would use their edge in a dado as a slide but have not got round to this. These though are for big stuff like those disposable cheap sponge or pigs hair brushes that take up a great deal of space when one gets a bundle on sale.

This is the problem and aggrivation in my shop. I have bits and pieces all over the place and no cohesive organized plan. Same for tools.

So i am looking with great interest to see the solutions others have. I think Glenn is probably our man to watch for here lets hope he gets a chance to chime in.

Great timing for this post Rennie. Thanks.

Yeah Bill but what do you do with the overflow that is bound to occur at times? ;)

Yale-card-catalog.jpg

Well, I think the only thing left is an "intervention" by friends.

Here are some photos of my current hardware storage. All of this is about to change when I redo my cabinets.

I have these metal cases with plastic drawers for automotive hardware.
001.JPG

Here is what I had to do for drawer slides. I forgot to take a picture of all the slides stashed under my work bench.:doh:
002.JPG003.JPG
010.JPG011.JPG012.JPG

My 2 plastic trays of screws and one of nails that I use for all projects and next to them are the nails and staples for my nail guns and my pocket hole screws.
006.JPG005.JPG

Here is all my shelf clips in the ice cream containers and the one grey container.
007.JPG

And these are the nails,screws and assorted fasteners for around the house and shop work.
009.JPG

I also have a 12" diameter catchall tray for fasteners that need to be sorted at the end of a job.

Mostly in original containers, in drawers. But I also try to just buy what I need for each project, so I don't have half of what is in your photos.
Open bins are bad - magnets for dust and junk. I'm trying to get completely away from open-shelves + open storage.
...art

I would like to get an old library card file, made of wood. I think it would look nice and serve the purpose well.

I picked this one up several years ago at a yard sale for $5.00, it's a little rough, and I took off two rows of drawers off the top so it fits under the workbench. been very handy to have.

Bin.jpg

I have all drawer slides and hinges int the boxes they come in as I by them by the case. Screws, biscuits and dowels are in homemade wooden bin that sit in a drawer. Nails for the nail guns are in a plastic storage bin sorted by gauge then by length.

I picked this one up several years ago at a yard sale for $5.00, it's a little rough, and I took off two rows of drawers off the top so it fits under the workbench. been very handy to have.

View attachment 66286

I use a metal filing cabinet with 24 drawers, small drawers, that I fit under my mitre stand, similar to your cabinet.
I had 3-4 of these small metal filing cabinets and had no problem selling them immediately.

I also purchased some plastic parts cabinets that hang to hold all the assorted screws and junk.

We all start with the little plastic drawers, but find out that they are only good for a few tiny things. 28 years ago I bought the metal drawer unit shown here. It filled up way to quickly. Instead of purchasing another, I did what woodworkers are supposed to do, and built my own. These 24 drawers are 23 inches deep, and hold a lot. Over the years I added more wooden drawer units, so now there are over 100 drawers in the shop. They support my multitude of hobbies…

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 102
I had larger bins but, find I have large amounts of only a few items. Most things I have quantities of 100 or less (or they take up small amounts of room). I bought a bunch of these Plano boxes at Lowe's once upon a time. I built a rack out of some old t1-11 siding and particle board that came from a neighbor's shed that he tore out. This setup does not give you direct sight at every compartment. In practice this is not an issue for me (YMMV) as I group items by "family" as opposed to filling compartments till I run out of spots and then moving on to the next bin.

Flathead screws in one unit, washerhead screws in another, pocket hole screws, brass screws, cabinet fittings (bumpers, door rubs, shelf pins and so forth), etc. For nuts, bolts and other less-used stuff I have some of those little plastic drawer do-jobbers and old sliced peaches jars behind those with larger items. Sounds pretty ghetto but, seems to keep working and so has not fallen under the "needs improvement" category yet ;-) These pics are from back in 2009; the empty bins have been pretty well put to use by now. The benefits of one system or another will depend on what you have, normally stock and how much you go through. This system would be way too fussy for a pro shop. Karl probably uses more hardware on one job than I do all year :D.

parts-cab-sm.jpgstorage-bins-(2).jpg

We all start with the little plastic drawers, but find out that they are only good for a few tiny things. 28 years ago I bought the metal drawer unit shown here. It filled up way to quickly. Instead of purchasing another, I did what woodworkers are supposed to do, and built my own. These 24 drawers are 23 inches deep, and hold a lot. Over the years I added more wooden drawer units, so now there are over 100 drawers in the shop. They support my multitude of hobbies…
At 23" deep they must hold a lot! :eek: Nicely done. I like the solution, but don't know if I have the floor space.

I had larger bins but, find I have large amounts of only a few items. Most things I have quantities of 100 or less (or they take up small amounts of room). I bought a bunch of these Plano boxes at Lowe's once upon a time. I built a rack out of some old t1-11 siding and particle board that came from a neighbor's shed that he tore out. This setup does not give you direct sight at every compartment. In practice this is not an issue for me (YMMV) as I group items by "family" as opposed to filling compartments till I run out of spots and then moving on to the next bin.

Flathead screws in one unit, washerhead screws in another, pocket hole screws, brass screws, cabinet fittings (bumpers, door rubs, shelf pins and so forth), etc. For nuts, bolts and other less-used stuff I have some of those little plastic drawer do-jobbers and old sliced peaches jars behind those with larger items. Sounds pretty ghetto but, seems to keep working and so has not fallen under the "needs improvement" category yet ;-) These pics are from back in 2009; the empty bins have been pretty well put to use by now. The benefits of one system or another will depend on what you have, normally stock and how much you go through. This system would be way too fussy for a pro shop. Karl probably uses more hardware on one job than I do all year :D.

View attachment 66369View attachment 66370
We've all been waiting for Mr Organization to weigh in on this - thanks for not letting us down. My guess is my needs are closer to yours than Karl, et.al. who run a lot of projects of a specific type through their shops. So many drawer slides!:eek: I doubt I've even opened that many drawers, let alone build them. :rofl:

My little plastic drawers and bins just aren't cutting it any more and I'm thinking a wall mounted box, where my large bins are now, set up to hold the plano boxes might be an improvement. Thanks Glenn.:wave: