desert ironwood

larry merlau

does anyone have a source for some, i need a little to make a thank you gift for some folks in Mississippi,, a end cut and some flat if possible so i can make one of these..desert iron wood napkin hldr.jpg

send me a pm if you have a source and we can get a flat rate box for the delivery method. thanks

I bought some from a member (I believe it was Barry) here some time ago. I tried to turn a piece during the last box swap and didn't like it at all. I still have a few pieces. These are small pieces though and may not be as beautiful as in the picture above. I am not sure what size you are looking for but if you want, I can measure them and post a couple of pics after I get home.

Here is the picture of what I have. From left:
10 3/4" x 5" x 2"
9" x 3 1/2" x 2 3/4"
7" x 3 1/2" x 2 7/8"
7 1/2" x 2 3/8" x 1 3/8"
Looks like some nice pieces. Let me know if you are interested.
D Ironwood.jpg

Larry, is desert ironwood the same as Manzanita (Arctostaphylos) or Madrone (Arbutus)? Both grow aroiund here, so if it is, I can see if I can find some that is dry,

what i need is the end cut and i will resw it to a thinner dimension,, i am after the turkey tail look the base is where the flat wood comes in and i can sub any wood for the base if need be

Larry, is desert ironwood the same as Manzanita (Arctostaphylos) or Madrone (Arbutus)? Both grow aroiund here, so if it is, I can see if I can find some that is dry,
Afraid not JAY, the Desert Ironwood only grows in the Sonoran Desert it is actually a member of the sweet pea family. Here is is some reading material for anyone who is interested.
LINK