Frankenstein Rocker build

Bryan Cowing

Using whatever I could find of scrap wood , odds end ends left from other projects, to build this Franken Rocker as a friend calls it. Been a few years since I last made one! Had some 2" ash and added some strips of walnut to make the 2& 3/4" turning squares. Seat slats are fir, arm rests and dowels from some Jabota someone gave me . Got a little walnut laminated in the bottom back rest. This is the 1st time making a curved backrest for a full sized rocker of the several I have made. Back rest is oak, curved pieces re-sawed at 3/32" and glued in a form I had made for the kid sized rockers back in 08.
Some construction pics.
IMG_5571.JPGIMG_5572.JPGIMG_5577.JPGIMG_5578.JPGIMG_5579.JPGIMG_5582.JPGIMG_5584.JPGIMG_5608.jpg

I don't know if I have time left in my life to do something that creative. Gives me a mark to aim for. ;)
I love the look of the Texas rocker, thick straight posts, slat back and seat, but could not find a plan, so through trial and error, made the 1 st chair from soft maple I had left, with the seat and runners from 2x spruce when the maple ran out,& painted it red. After a few chairs I tried a curved seat, then with this one , a curved back. I think the hardest part was how to drill the holes in the right places!:doh:

Bryan you do make it all look so easy. :) Nice chair.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Making the first one was hard as I couldn't find a plan for this Texas style I liked ( oversize with large legs). Borrowed dimensions from a Mississippi Porch rocker plan (hickory bark seat) to make the Texas style. This is the 5th large rocker I have built. I aslo shrunk my plan to make a kid size version. Made 4 of these little ones back in 2008, last one I tried the curved back. This one we kept:thumb:

IMG_5628.JPG

Last edited:
Bryan are you going to harmonize the color of the new one through use of whatever finish and dyes or is it going to show the various wood types when done?

Bryan are you going to harmonize the color of the new one through use of whatever finish and dyes or is it going to show the various wood types when done?

Management looked at the chair today and told me to use the same stain as the fireplace, handrails, kitchen cupboards in the house ( dark walnut). Once I get the knobs turned and glued on, and a final sand, I will stain it. Probably got to be a shiny finish too!