Baseball Bat Bar Stools

Hello everyone. I am trying to build two bar stools with old wooden baseball bats for the legs for Father's Day. I have the bats and have started sanding them down. I plan to make the seat 15"x15" out of two layers of 3/4" plywood. The seat will be covered with materilal to look like a base.

My question is about attaching the legs. I have seen stools with both straight and angled legs, and am trying to decide if I should make the legs straight or angle them. Is there a rule of thumb? I would assume that legs are generally angled to give a wider footprint. Do I need to angle them if the seat is 15"x15" (giving a footprint of about 14"x14")?

Straight legs would definatly be easier as far as attaching the legs to the seat and the supports between the legs, but I don't want to take the easy way unless it is justified.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

I am not into building chairs, stools, etc. However, I did see a book (probably at Barnes and Nobel) about chair and stool design. It gave all kinds of info on chair height, stresses from tipping the chair back on two legs, etc. Perhaps your local library could get it for you to peruse.

Sorry that I am no more help than that.

Enjoy,

JimB

Thanks everyone for their help. I think a slight angle to the legs would be better than straight, so I am going with a 3-5 degree angle on the legs.

Time to get building.

Thanks again

Hey Brandon, sounds like a pretty cool father's day gift. :thumb:

I think John is probably right, but the ones I'm sitting on aren't any further out than the corners of the top. They do splay a little, but just enough that they are in line with the corners of the seat. I have some taller ones up in the shop that are for a 48" counter/table top and are the straight down, but again don't go out any further than the seat at the bottom.