Faith in employers after being let go...

larry merlau

ok you all know that i am no longer employed and as of right now have a bad taste in my mouth for the employer.. and i am not the only one with this plight and others here have gone threw this same feeling and possibly have dealt with it and succeeded to get threw it so any of you in business or that have had this dilemma could voice your thoughts and advice would be helpful for those in the same dilemma to get threw the lack of faith in employers and get on with our lives:)

I got laid off from a defunct dot-bomb during the big bust in that sector in 2001. My blood pressure still rises when I think about the article where the CEO talked about taking his high dollar sports car out on the PCH and going for drive with the top down where he decided to lay a huge number of us off.

Had that not happened it wouldn't have put me on the path I went down that landed me where I am now working for a grat company owned by two guys who really care about their employees.

As you know, Larry, I went through that with the phone company, where traditionally people worked there for their whole working lives. There politics and courts betrayed the employees, but that doesn't matter much when you are left on the street. As for the matter of a bad taste in your mouth, that's pretty normal. It is also the prime reason for taking some time to get some perspective. This crap is too fresh. It takes time to put it behind you. Take that time. You do not want to be on the hunt for a new job with this taste in your mouth. It will show. You are among friends here and it is a good place to vent. In an interview, buttons get pushed. That is also normal. Take some time so those buttons have a pretty benign reaction.

Hang in there, friend. Better things are coming. Have you noticed the people here telling you they have been there, done that, and it turned out for the best? Well, that's the truth!

Me, BTDT. It's true!

Was 2 years ago for me and part of 700 let go the same week. They since have had a couple of more waves of layoffs as well as a lot of individual ones. They just recently did a shift in their board members and kicked a few off. I really feel more sorry for the ones that got left behind, they've had to live in fear of getting fired day to day...which is no way to live. I was with them for 12 years and had planned to be there to retirement. So let me say this...I have no trust in that company anymore, and those still there have even less trust.

If it wasn't for that I'd not be where I am today. I love working for the institute, love the team I'm on, and they are one of the few place that still has really good benefits. I hadn't heard of them prior to being contacted by a recruiter. As a matter of fact, I had no intentions of really working with the recruiter. I went ahead with the interview just to give myself some interviewing experience again as it had been so long. The more we talked, the more I wanted the job. Never know when your next opportunity is going to be, so give things a shot you may not normally do.

carol and matt, i have been told by others this and as well as you folks and in the far reaches of my mind i am trying to believe it but as you all have experienced, it is to fresh right now to really see clearly..and in this venting i am doing my best to not go back to where i was 20 yrs ago,, this forum wouldnt allow that kind of personality to show:) and that is why i am here and why i am who i was previoulsy just a week ago:) yet:) to those old enough to know this chorus i had tlaked some time back witha co worker who left earlier about this songs verse, and thought that if we got the chance might do something along those lines:) Part of the verse was " hey ollie" it was about a disgruntled employee i think..

I have lost a few jobs, and hired a few people over the years. Remember that the experience you got at your last job is valuable experience, and your next employer will value it and hopefully pay you for it. Whatever you do, don't say negative things about your employer in your upcoming job interviews. That can lose you the job, because people will be thinking "If he's talking like this about his former employer, how will he talk about us?" Go in looking confident, look the interviewer in the eye, and don't mumble. ;)

roger you saying i dont talk clear enough:):) i will take your advice on the no bad talk on the employer at any meeting for new job offers..

while on this subject ,, i havnt made a resume in about 25 yrs:) and so from what little i have read they do things differently now days,, i have heard they look at sites like facebook in reference to who they are looking at???? well i got a site on there but am not one of the gossip columns and dont play any of the many games threw it.. so back the point here,, if there is someone that could work with me on what and how and could help me make what ever it is that the new employers of today are looking for i would like your assistance we can talk threw skype or i can call you so its on my dime not yours.. thanks in advance for any help in this and send a pm to me to get things set up to work threw this next step in my lifes journey:)

Last edited:
"Don't put off today till tomorrow" as in, 'Yesterday has no future'. As much as the bitterness, chokes one going through undesired change, dwelling on the past won't ease today's worries.

Like you mentioned, many have gone down this road, and while it is a well traveled route, the surroundings are not well mapped. Whether it was a forced trip due to restructuring, economic survival, financial necessity, or blatant greed...much like aging, there is not much we can do about reversing the trip.

I don't believe there is any option other than to shake it off, roll up the sleeves and tackle life head-on. My job search ate away at me for quite sometime, and though I'm still in the hunt, the callouses have built up enough that I no longer fear losing grip. Granted, if it weren't for the support of my wife, both emotionally & financially I might not have such a carefree attitude. But I also have faith that things happen for a reason, and though 'why' may remain hidden, fretting over what should of, could of...doesn't offer anything but UN-needed stress & agony.

IMO - Life is a one-way road, turn up the radio, put the top down, and enjoy the ride!

PS: I know this not what you were looking for, but sometimes, I just need to spit it out to reaffirm that I'm gonna make it alright in the long run... & you will too!!!

Larry,
Downsized in 1995 from a very good paying job with a trade association (I was one of the directors) was a very bitter experience for me, but after some reflection, I used part of the severence pay from that job to start my own consulting company, and eventually had a very good client list. I sold that company in 1999 - at a nice profit, and an agreement for the new owners to retain my employees (2) for at least a year after. The new owner actually grew the company, and as of last year, both employees are now vice-presidents.

I used the money from that sale to buy into (and eventually buy out the partners) a property management company. Grew that one to over 900 clients and 25 part time employees. Sold it in 1994 to a woman who was downsized from a major bank (sound familiar?), and who has grown it to almost double the size it was.

As you know, after selling that one (in California) I retired and moved to Ohio where we live now.

Having said all that, and having had great subsequent successes, I still hold animosity and contempt towards that original employer. Some things you just can't let go of...

When you are at the state office, see if there is a job counselor available who can help you list your skills based on the things you did and were responsible for at your last job. There are a lot of intangibles that can be listed. It is often the intangibles that make you a more worthy candidate for the job than someone else. One of the 'new' things is to describe a project or task and your involvement and responsibility in it, along with the end result. In other words, what was your contribution and how did your contribution affect the result. Think in terms of scenarios.

while on this subject ,, i havnt made a resume in about 25 yrs:) and so from what little i have read they do things differently now days,, i have heard they look at sites like facebook in reference to who they are looking at????

Well I don't think its all that different than it used to be, just easier. There is just more opportunity for potential employers to snoop around your personal life than there used to because so many people are putting it all on the interwebs where anyone can search for it/see it. In the old days the world was often slightly smaller in local areas so it was generally easier to find someone who knew someone who.... Realistically I know people have been using all sorts of web search, etc.. etc.. to find out about prospective employee's and employers for that matter (i.e. http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm) for a long time now. It also somewhat depends on the position, if you are a "front man" your personal life will obviously be more public so you'd expect them to be nosier about it, otoh if you work in the back room there is less reason for it (not that that stops folks, but...). Some of the newer stuff like folks demanding your account logins for facebook, etc.. is (again imho) plain up old fashioned BS; its equivalent to "I need to see all of your personal correspondence" - how about a big fat no! I think its just a few companies doing it though and I kind of figure that if they're that way I wouldn't want to work there if I had any other choice whatsoever anyway.

I've gotten 4 out of the 5 jobs I've had through referrals; knowing people and networking is still, imho, the most effective way to get into a job you'll actually like (not that cold calling or headhunters are bad; they work as well and my first job out of college I got through sheer brashness, but folks who'll put in a good word go a long way most places). In at least one of those cases I suspect that no one actually looked at my resume at all.

A coworker of mine and 2200 of his closest friends were all let go the same day by Providian (the credit card people). He was in the unenviable position of middle management. Those folks generally gets killed in these things. He had planned well and was able to take some time to "pause and reflect" before diving back into the job market. His age made things doubly tough although it is not supposed to. It is a paradox that younger people get passed over due to lack of experienced where older folks with experience get passed over due to age. I have been in and out of management a half dozen times during my 30 years in the field and I much prefer being a hands-on-guy than a tie-guy. Either way, hang in there and persevere.

i was given this LINK by a forum member and have read it twice now and have it bookmarked for later reading.. i know its true and have been threw this kind of thng before and didnt have near the support i have today so its just taking the days ahead as they fall and try as ken says to forget the past and look forward to the next fishun hole:)

One of the best days I had at my last job was the day the laid me off! Sounds crazy but you knew it was eventually coming due to jobs finishing and no new work coming in. It was a relief not to have to worry about it anymore and that 100 mile drive home was a very pleasant drive.

Did it leave a bitter taste in my mouth? Yes it did but I also decided that was the last time a company was going to use and abuse me like that for being loyal. In my 30 plus work year history I've seen the ones that cared the most get stomped on and threatened with losing their job and the ones with the I couldn't care less attitude towards the employer move up the ranks. It was getting laid off from that last job that finally opened my eyes.

As for resumes Larry it depends on the job your applying for in how you word them.

I don't have any clever story's or at least not the ability to type them out, but I know this. What you are going through hurts, feels like they pulled your heart out. I have been lucky enough to have had some great jobs. I have lost each and every one of them. Everyone of them was a chance to improve myself and my stake in life. Sometimes you think it will never get better, but it will. Take next week off and don't even think about it. Then once you have recharged, tear into getting a job. They are out there.

As for resumes Larry it depends on the job your applying for in how you word them.

Alan's correct, you'll need to do some tweaking for each job description you're applying for. The main point is to try to make the things they are looking for in the job description stand out in your resume.

Many of today's HR reps don't really know the job you're applying for, they rely on the description given to them by the hiring manager. They do keyword searches (think google) for things that are in the job description phrases and buzz words that match will get you noticed.

I think you'd be better off talking to folks in the types of industry you're looking at applying for. When I was looking two years ago, I found many companies were hiring contractors through placement agencies. Contract work wasn't what I wanted, but I was told the client had indicated that the right person would be a direct hire after the agreed contract period. They bought me out of the contract a few months early. Another good reason to look at going through a placement agency is that they have already built relationships with the client and gives you a foot in the door. Again, may not apply to the industry you're looking at, but wanted to pass that along.

Larry,

I have gone through similar, though, not identical, situations and have found that it can be a good thing. Several times in my life a better opportunity presented itself. I now believe that things happen for a reason.

Going throughall the medical crap has left me forgetful, so this morning I had to get her a card. Went to CVS and started looking - not one for wife! Wait, there's one! Would you believe that it is perfect! We'll find out a little later, when she gets home from church.

Bruce