Some Marquetry

The second picture shows a panel that I'm working on now. I cut it out at the same time as I cut the design for the first panel posted. The field is a radial match of walnut burl. I cut that in half and aligned it with the other half, then put those pieces into the packet with enough colored veneer to make three designs. I sand shaded all the pieces at the same time, then assembled them into the field pieces. Finally, I took the two half radials of walnut burl and put them back together into a single full radial.

Wow the radial walnut burl is amazing! I agree I couldn't see using that as a table, I'd be afraid of damaging it.

Speaking of which.. what are you planning to do to protect the top?

Wow the radial walnut burl is amazing! I agree I couldn't see using that as a table, I'd be afraid of damaging it.

Speaking of which.. what are you planning to do to protect the top?
I'll probably make that walnut burl into a serving tray. What I usually do is first apply a coat of dewaxed shellac, then multiple coats of water based lacquer (until I get a good glass-like finish). Furniture is made to be used. If it gets damaged, I'll repair it. But I'd rather see it used than just put aside to look at.

After you do enough veneer work, that walnut burl panel is not that unusual. You can get an interesting pattern out of most burls (although some can be difficult to work with).

Mike

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply. :thumbup:

Its a true pleasure and inspiration to see your work and be able to get feedback from a guy of your ability and skill.

I certainly can see how one needs to incrementally progress in the skill building dept.

That burl design is utterly amazing. Certainly would get a great deal of attention as a serving tray.

Thanks again.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Beautiful work as always, Mike. :clap:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this would be the perfect sixth table in the set? :D
Alas, it's too big for the table trays I'm making right now. The table trays are 18" by 15" (top surface) and this "double" design needs a round (or mostly round) space of almost 20" (diameter) to not crowd the marquetry.

When I finish the serving tray with the walnut burl panel, I'll post a picture here.

Mike

Here's a couple of pictures I referred to in my earlier posting. The first shows the back of the panel with the half radial and the flowers (the first panel I posted).

View attachment 66842

Before you attempt marquetry, you should be able to lay regular veneer into patterns such as this. This pattern is in figured white oak, 8 pieces. I chose the cut so that I'd get the "star" effect in the center. Working with this oak veneer was challenging - it's not a veneer for beginners but there are easier veneers that you can do the same effect with - example, quarter sawn cherry which usually has sapwood in it.

The second picture shows a panel that I'm working on now. I cut it out at the same time as I cut the design for the first panel posted. The field is a radial match of walnut burl. I cut that in half and aligned it with the other half, then put those pieces into the packet with enough colored veneer to make three designs. I sand shaded all the pieces at the same time, then assembled them into the field pieces. Finally, I took the two half radials of walnut burl and put them back together into a single full radial.

View attachment 66843

Skipper, my shop dog, likes to lick the veneer tape because it uses an animal glue. If I'm not careful, he'll destroy my work to get to the glue:(

Mike

This followup is a bit late but better late than never.

Here's a picture of that panel, mounted to substrate and finished. Also a picture of the back, done in a radial match with quarter sawn walnut.

It was very difficult to get a picture of the panel without getting a lot of reflection in the panel. Sorry it's not a better picture.

Mike

Marquetry 020b.jpgMarquetry 021b.jpg