Windows Media Player

Dan Mooney

Does any of our Computer experts have any expertise on windows media player? I use it to rip cd audio books to mp3 files and the last few times I cannot change the folder that I rip to. I change the folder thru the options/tools menu hit apply and ok, and it defaults back to another folder, and I can't get it to change. Is there some lock I don't know about? HELP!!:huh:

Or is there a better program to rip Cd's??

Last edited:
I don't use Windows Media Player enough to be able to answer your original question, but I can recommend WinAmp for ripping CDs. I've been using it for years and have been very happy with it. It's free, although you can also purchase the Pro version that has faster ripping speeds. I bought the Pro version 10 or more years ago, and still continue to get free upgrades for it every time they put out a new version.

Far...very far from what one would 'expert' :eek: but I use WMP 11...& for me it works like the following.....
The folder you wish to use, must be created before you change the setting...
click - Tools > options > rip music > then the 'browse for folder' window opens, select your{newly created}folder and click OK, then click 'apply & OK on the
'rip music' window and that should stay the default until you change it.

Far...very far from what one would 'expert' :eek: but I use WMP 11...& for me it works like the following.....
The folder you wish to use, must be created before you change the setting...
click - Tools > options > rip music > then the 'browse for folder' window opens, select your{newly created}folder and click OK, then click 'apply & OK on the
'rip music' window and that should stay the default until you change it.

Hey Ken,
that's the way it's always worked until a couple weeks back now it won't change, it's stuck, I can't think of anything that I have changed to lock it on that one particular folder, I've tried going into preferences trying to unlock the folder and no joy! I have Win7 and media player 12.

dan has it worked for you in win7 and this version of media player recently? if so then you must have hit something wrong, but sometimes a new version will stop working the way it used to work..

dan has it worked for you in win7 and this version of media player recently? if so then you must have hit something wrong, but sometimes a new version will stop working the way it used to work..

it worked until a couple weeks back now it won't change the folder for a new audio book, it's locked onto a folder of a previous audio book that I ripped.

Also found surfing said problem...

Snipped...

Tech reply...
"This is because the directory where rip used to point to, no longer exsits.
Re-create the path to were rip pointed to, as soon as you have the right path made, the rip dialogue in WMP will allow you to change it."

User reply...
"After creating the folder C:\Users\username\Music, I was able to change the destination folder in WMP12. Additionally,
all the other Rip settings can now be changed and "take" when the [apply] button is clicked.
Note to Microsoft: This HAS to be a bug and needs to be fixed. I can't be the only person that wanted to change the location of their Music
folder off of the default C: drive location"