Box

R

Richard Smith

So many of the things I have made doesn't fit in one forum or another.
This is a Norwegian style bent wood box called a tiner (TEE - NA)

Attachments

• P1010026 box.jpg
    P1010026 box.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 112
Thanks for pointing that out. Now, as you can see I have to tell on my self and point out that the peacock feather didn't work well. My wife loves it anyway.

Attachments

• P1010026 box II.jpg
    P1010026 box II.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 78
Rich,

It looks great. Can you give us a little history on this box? Not the making of it but what the Norweigans would use it for. Then again if you wanna tell us how you made it too that would be nice.:D

That is really cool!

I watched some Japanese guys making a similar bent and sewn box on TV the other night (my one our a week's worth of TV)

Dash Web <-Link, text in Japanese, but the pics are easy to understand :rolleyes:

Richard, I'm wondering if the technique for making your box is anything like the ones shown in the link?

Cheers!

I really like it, Richard. (The bigger picture really helps, too.) I'll echo the other guys and say feel free to post more details about the box.

Historically Norwegians used these boxes to hold everything. The one I show was a lunch box or sewing box. Much bigger ones were used to hold grain or flour. It is similar to the japanese and the Shaker box . I wet the wood in cold water, bend it around a form and let dry. Shape the top and bottom to the sides, then add the 'ears'. BTW spreading the ears releases the top to open. I originally saw these in FWW magazine. Since, I have purchased a Norwegian book that I can't read, but has detailed pictures.

At first I was going to make a yoke about the Norweigans not knowing a box is supposed to be square. Then I looked and was impressed with the style and techniques that went into making it. The 'stitching' of the tabs to hold it round is very interesting. Well done. :thumb: