Beginning custom color

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
OK, I have received the Transtint that Dave suggested a few weeks ago. I am ready to start playing mad chemist. I also got the color chart.

I like to have things at hand, so I bought a measuring cup and a set of funnels just for mixing colors. Hit the Dollar store so it was inexpensive. I think I will get a spare can or two from HD.

I know I need to carefully record the recipes as I mess around.

Now a couple of questions for you more experienced chemists. I think I can mix into alcohol, water, sanding sealer, shellac, lacquer, or perhaps even varnish for the color carrier. Final finish will be NC Lacquer because I have some. I am aiming for a cinnamon color on BB ply.

1. Should I apply wood conditioner (blotch control) first?
2. Any preface for the color carrier?
3. What is the protocol in terms of order? I.e., conditioner, sealer with color, final finish? Or, conditioner, color, sealer, final finish? Or?

Go for it! I need all the help I can get. The project at hand is the bookcase I began a few weeks ago and then decided to get the color and finish on the inside before assembly. Books are stacked in boxes so I want to get this project DONE!

You can in fact, mix the Transtint into all the things you listed. I'd suggest lacquer thinner or paint thinner as a carrier. Water will raise the grain. How are you applying the final finish. If you are spraying, adding a bit of toner to your mix is a great way to bring it up to final color. This way you can stain lighter which helps a ton with blotching. I do this instead of using a wood conditioner because, in my opinion, it keeps the character of the wood. The areas that blotch are the areas that do the most interesting things under lacquer. If you get blotching, use a little lacquer thinner on a rag and scrub the blotchy areas to remove color.

So...my normal regimen is:

Stain
Scrub if needed
Sealer coat
Maybe glaze if an antique finish is wanted
Sand
Toner coats
Clear gloss (2 coats)
Sand
Final coat
Maybe rub out

For your "Mad Scientist" mixing kit, might I suggest adding a 10cc hypodermic syringe? (I get mine in the veterinary section at Tractor supply.)

A syringe makes measuring the Transtint for mixing small amounts very easy. There are ~30cc in an ounce, and Transtint 'standard' strength is one ounce per quart of carrier, so using 7½cc from the syringe make a nearly perfect half pint of dye.

The syringe, with a 1½" needle, makes the mixing a lot less messy than with a dropper or pipette.

Thanks, Jim. That is a wonderful suggestion. No Tractor Supply stores in this state, but I will check at the feed store. It is pretty well stocked.

Now I need to do a chart for various amounts of dye. Your measuring information for a half pint is very helpful. I think I want to mix a pint for the bookshelves. I think that will be enough. What I don't want is leftovers. :thumb: Don't like them in my refrigerator either!

Any thoughts about the color wheel? I think I have figured it out. We will see.

I use metric when playing mad scientist. It makes my weak math skills seem so much better. I generally start with about an ounce (30ml) of carrier. I prefer DNA as it doesn't raise the grain and leaves no residue but, it dries too fast for some folks taste. I then just count drops of Transtint straight from the bottle into a small measuring spoon (in case I "over-drip" the amount I am after). Add the dye to the carrier, mix well and make my test patch. I use a piece of the same material with the same preperation protocol for my test board. I try to make my test patches at least 4" x6" and leave a good gap between different patches. I mark the patches off with an indelible marker and use the gaps between to document the patch. Kind of like:

Capture.jpg

Once I have the small batch formula I like, I just multiply by the number of ounces (or ml) needed.

Last edited:
Carol links to one of the color wheels I have Larry. Pretty handy and not expensive. I keep mine in a zippy-bag in a cabinet since I only need it now and again but, when I do, I do ;-)

thanks for the tip glenn,, i think i am gonna need to be more color coordinated soon so was looking for something to help me get that way,, i have heard of folks using blue or green to get matched color and i never looked at wood that way pictures yes but not wood:)

Thanks, Dave. That was my plan. I want to skip the alcohol mix and go straight to sealer as I am working with NC lacquer using my HVLP sprayer, with which I am very familiar. It seems the shortest path from color to final finish.

Larry, I do not begin to understand adding blues or greens to adjust the color and I don't remember the color wheel I have offering that. Its out in the shop and I'm not. Looks like another area to explore.

Thanks, Glenn, for the baggie idea for the wheel. Will do that today. And thanks for the spoon idea. I will check around the thrift stores for an iced tea spoon. They have nice long handles.

My coloring kit is growing. I will need to make another box to store this stuff together. I like being able to grab a box and find everything I need for the task right there. Beats running around the shop and gathering things and also helps me remember the processes. In this case, the recipe book will be there also, along with the sample boards.

What a great group! Keep the ideas coming, folks. I am blessed to be here.

actually carol its "us" the whole forum that are lucky, we have a lady and others that has been around the farm more than once and in many areas.. and decided to come and share there knowledge with us.

I have a gazillion of those from drink mixes...

So, what kinda drinks are you mixin' these days? :rolleyes: :D I've only ever seen those little cups on cough syrup and antacids.

BTW, the LV ones are a bit nicer - clearer, and graduated in ml, oz, and tsp. I go through about a pack per year.

Containers are from the WallyWorld version of Crystal Light.

I don't 'mix' drinks. I take my Woodford Reserve bourbon on the rocks. Thanks, Jim.

Juice glasses ARE little glasses!

Copy that!!!

Old fashion glass, like three inches in diameter. Four cubes and three fingers... :thumb:

Take it neat. Leave the ice out; it just dilutes the good tasting stuff! If you've gotta drink it cold, put the bottle in the fridge (I keep my Absolut in the freezer.)

Boy, has this thread ever gone off topic! :D

Last edited: