sooner or later ot was bound to happen

This is what happened and whats in the plans:
*sooner or later it was bound to happenAbout 10 days ago I went to a friends 60th BD party. It was in an area I never been to.*@ 9 pm it was time for me to head home and get some sleep for turkey hunting in the morning. Walked out of the club located on A back country rd. Drove down the driveway and I thought I was turning onto the main street leading out. I wasn't. I was doing about 20 mph on new blacktop when I came up on a unmarked "T" section in the road. So basically all I can remember is oh crap turn ! I turned and hit the front break. Now if I had not laid the bike down on the otherside of the road was about a a 30' drop off.*So a panel truck came by the driver started yelling at me to lay still and don't move. Ambulance showed up, half the people from the party showed up. No neck problems, helmet had no cracks so a medivac ride to Baltimore was not nessary. By 945 I was in the ER, exrayed all the other good stuff done. I was in extreme pain with 2 broken ribs in the back. By 230 am wife and I were heading home. Now its been a little over a week, pain has fallen off by 50% so I decided to*Visit East Side chop shop and meet Bobby the owner and I really like the guy. He will be repairing/restoring my bike plus putting a new paint job on the bike. Cadillac's new Black Diamond. If you have not seen the color , next time you see the new black caddy take a look , it's cool !*Got about 3 till it's ready. This is a good thing... I meed to heal.__________________

Last edited:
Glad you weren't hurt worse Dave. Been seeing your posts on FB and was wondering if you'd get back on the horse.

Have a friend that laid down his Hayabusa at about 50 miles per hour. Luckily he had just got his kevlar suit that day and was trying it out. He remembered hitting a sandy patch on the off-ramp, and waking up on some boulders on the side of the road. He sold the bike the next day and hasn't ridden since.

Sorry to hear about your accident, Dave. Glad you're healing up OK. :thumb:

After a couple of minor spills on a small "motorbike" when I was young, I decided I needed to keep a wrapper of steel around me for the rest of my life! :)

Yikes...glad you're healing up Dave! I have several friends and family that ride. My BIL is out on a long ride to the east coast and then "the dragon" whatever that is. I haven't ridden since junior high after hitting some washboard and going thru a barbed wire fence.

thanks for the update dave, and glad you didnt get hurt any worse... they just took away the helmet law in our state so some wont be as lucky as you were wearing protection..and i can attest to liking the road as well, its long sometimes but the stops make it worth the trip:)

Glad your on the mend Dave, never broke any bones from riding, but have had more than my share of road rash. :doh:

Jeff, that would be the 'Tail of the dragon', 318 curves in 11 miles...:bliss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmkCbzVZJaU&feature=related

We have tons of roads like that in Japan :D
That video is painful to watch, the guy on the blue bike has no idea how to ride, his body position is all wrong all of the time and he is missing the apex on almost every corner, braking at the wrong time most of the time, and at the wrong place. Really just a crash waiting to happen! Most of the people riding motorcycles do just that, they sit on top of it and ride it, they almost NEVER are in complete control. Training training training is what is needed, as you do not have an airbag or all that steel wrapped around you.

Dave I'm glad you are feeling better, please keep the rubber side down!:thumb:

Last edited:
I had to watch it again Stu, right you are, good catch! I picked that vid out of tons available, based on the fact it wasn't blaring music all the way thru....BTW, there are also quite a few vids of the 'unexperienced' eating road dirt sandwiches :eek::doh::D

Ken, now I know why my sister was so worried about this trip:eek:. He's been riding since he could ride a bicycle so he is very experienced and safe though. Stu, my BIL said he was going to take video of the ride...will link to it if he posts it to youtube.

In my experience if I was formulure with the road it would not have happened. Not knowing the road, no signs no warning signs , street lights I think any body could have experienced what I did.
So the bike is off to Eastside chop shop. I will be getting a new paint job, upgraded LED lights and these should help an old man see better.
I went into the shop this morning, there is nothing I can do right now. So did a little paper work knocked out a big estimate and back at home relaxing. If this is a glimpse at retirement I working till the day I die or paonting.

No the hunting visiting and bike riding are more like retirement unless you wait to long and your body has failed you where you are to the point of hurting to bad to do anything....