Turned Chessmen

Very cool but i want to see how you do the knights you got carving tools?

Stu can you take a pic of the turning tools you using specifically with a ruler behind them. Each time i see you and Bernie making small stuff i mean to ask this question. I battle making small turnings and think it has to do with size of my lathe tools.

Dont know how i missed your board thread that board is very cool. Gonna be a nice chess set. Great game.

Great tutorial, Stu. :thumb:

...I battle making small turnings and think it has to do with size of my lathe tools...

At least for me, the smaller tools are often more difficult to use than larger ones. Bigger tools are less prone to vibration, and with their typically longer handles, they give me more control. One of my favorite tools for making bottle stoppers is a 3/4" bowl gouge, which is HUGE to most turners.

I suspect your battle with turning small pieces has as much to do with practice and experience as it does tool size.

new_rooks.jpg

OK this is what I came up with for rooks, I think these are close enough to the pawns, in style, but are certainly more substantial!

If you are wondering, this is how I cut the tops......

rook_top_cut.jpg

The part the saw is resting on is actually below center by just a smidgen, that way I make two cuts, then remove the waste and using a very small file, I smooth out the cuts, works OK, if I had a bunch to do I'd fab something else, but for just four rooks total, this is fine.

Cheers!

Something more on the cutting of the rook's top, it is hard to keep the saw kerf the same on both sides, so I stuck a mirror behind the lathe this way I can see both sides of the cut at the same time....

rook_cut_mirror_1.jpg

rook_cut_mirror_2.jpg

Worked great!

rooks_done.jpg

Rooks done!

On to the bishops!

bishop_WIP.jpg

Here is a bishop WIP, I refined the shape a bit after this was taken.

Cutting the bishop....

bishops_cut2.jpg

I made a little jig to guide the saw cut on the bishop.

bishops_cut1.jpg

Worked slick, had to cut slowly and carefully, but it worked out well.

white_bishops.jpg

Two white bishops done!!

filling_ot_ranks.jpg

I'm filling out the ranks!!

leaded_bottoms.jpg

I also leaded the bottoms, melted some old tires weights to fill the hole in the bottom, I'll then put epoxy on the bottoms and then felt.

I'm thinking of this kind of thing for the chessboard and storage....
chess_cabinet_open.jpg

...with this kind of storage tray....

chessmen_box.jpg

I guess I'll have to get some felt.....

OK, I got a "Beta Queen" done.....

beta_queen.jpg

... the form needs some more refining, but I'm pleased with the overall look and the mechanics of the crown worked out well.
This one is a beta, and still kind of rough, but it is looking good, to me anyways!

Cheers!

Wow I am glad you think its Beta in my books its brilliantly fine and finished. :) What more do you wish to do to it.

But you gotta reveal all in how you made the Queens crown. I am guessing drilling had something to do with it.??? Stu i think you should have been a teacher. Your posts are very inspirational. You pick things that i would like to think many would like to make themselves. I know i would. I have put this one on my list for sure.

Had a wonderful hand carved solid ebony and ivory African village theme set with hand made ebony ivory board too. It got given to someone when we departed due to potential issues with the Ivory.