Turned Chessmen

queens.jpg

Queens versions 1-4

queen_ver_4.jpg

A close up of queen Ver 4.0 I like this one the best, now I have to make three more the same!! :eek:

I'll post a tutorial on the queen's crown tomorrow, but it is now nearly 4AM (YIKES) and I need my sleep!

OK, here is how I do the queen's crown.

queen_tut_1.jpg

Once I turn the piece to the point that it is all sanded and ready for the crown work,
I set my wooden support piece up right on the center line, I then put the pin on my lathe index at "0" and make a mark.
(sorry for the fuzzy pic)

queen_tut_2.jpg

The crown all marked up, I also put a limit line on the crown, a line I'll work down to.

queen_tut_3.jpg

Using a rat tail file I carefully....... CAREFULLY.... fine down to the three lines

queen_tut_4.jpg

Here it is all done, you go very slow, very carefully, or you WILL break off a crown point.... DAMHIKT!!

queen_tut_5.jpg

Then I use an eraser to get rid of most of the lines, and finally sand the outside of the crown,
and I put some sandpaper on a 1/4" file to sand the crown inside points as the file leaves them a bit rough.

queen_tut_6.jpg

Sanding on the inside of the crown can be tricky, so I take a piece of plastic and apply some sandpaper to it....

queen_tut_7.jpg

This makes a little firm sanding pad that I can manipulate to fit exactly into where you want it.

queen_tut_8.jpg

It works very well!

Simple!

Two questions;

How much did you use on your pool que case? Did the one kit contents do the trick?

They say the adhesive will not ship to Japan (maybe they will ship it surface, I've asked, but I doubt it!) is the adhesive really that special, or will something else that I can source work for me?

Cheers!

I call those "Master pieces" . Thanks for showing how you did it, Beautiful work.

Oh trust me I can show you lots of flaws :D Thanks for the kind words!

Great job Stu. I really like how you solved the jig problems on the detail cutting. Bring it on down and we can have a game or two.
Got to work at it and solve all the problems, much like you did with your wonderful guitar build!:thumb:

I'm sure you would kick my behind at chess, I like the game, but don't play very well.... :eek:

Man, this set is looking sweet, Stu. :thumb:

Two questions;

How much did you use on your pool que case? Did the one kit contents do the trick?

They say the adhesive will not ship to Japan (maybe they will ship it surface, I've asked, but I doubt it!) is the adhesive really that special, or will something else that I can source work for me?

Cheers!

The pool case took less than a full kit. That was covering the dividers and the frame holding them. The bottom and top surfaces were covered with foam, then velvet. I had enough left over to do the inside of a 5" x 7" keepsake box, and as I recall, I still have about half of the kit left. I'd think one kit would surely do a chess box.

The adhesive is colored to match the flocking. I'm not sure what's in it, but it reminds me of a thick version of the enamel paint like we used to use on plastic car and plane models. It stays tacky for quite a while, and takes about a day to cure. You essentially paint one or two thick coats of the adhesive /paint, then while it's wet you heavily dust the wet surfaces with the flocking material, making sure to get it everywhere, especially the nooks and crannies. After it has dried for a day, you knock or lightly blow off the excess flocking. (It can be saved and reused.) If there are any thin spots, you can carefully touch them up with more adhesive and re-dust them with the fairy fuzz.

Man, this set is looking sweet, Stu. :thumb:

The pool case took less than a full kit. That was covering the dividers and the frame holding them. The bottom and top surfaces were covered with foam, then velvet. I had enough left over to do the inside of a 5" x 7" keepsake box, and as I recall, I still have about half of the kit left. I'd think one kit would surely do a chess box.

The adhesive is colored to match the flocking. I'm not sure what's in it, but it reminds me of a thick version of the enamel paint like we used to use on plastic car and plane models. It stays tacky for quite a while, and takes about a day to cure. You essentially paint one or two thick coats of the adhesive /paint, then while it's wet you heavily dust the wet surfaces with the flocking material, making sure to get it everywhere, especially the nooks and crannies. After it has dried for a day, you knock or lightly blow off the excess flocking. (It can be saved and reused.) If there are any thin spots, you can carefully touch them up with more adhesive and re-dust them with the fairy fuzz.

Thanks for the info!

Now I'll have to wait to see what Lee Valley says about surface shipments. I'll also start a search locally for this stuff, who knows, maybe they have a local version of it....?

Found a guy online here that is using that same flocking but could not get the special glue, what he did was paint the piece he wanted to flock with latex paint, then let that dry, then he used hot water to dilute regular white glue and spread that all over the piece that had be painted the color to match the flocking. Then he sprayed the flocking onto the wet thinned glue.

He made a tool tray....
IMG_1496.jpg
Painted green

IMG_1512.jpg
Thinned glue on, ready to flock!

IMG_1513.jpg
Flock away!!

I looks good.....
0094-03.jpg

0094-02.jpg
I think I'll just order the flocking gun and the flocking from Lee Valley, the prices I see here on the web are stupid...

Is it against the law to ship the kit to Japan or could I order it and have it shipped to me then send it to you ?

Yes, it is considered a "Dangerous Good" we could not send a 5 ml bottle of nail polish to our daughter for Christmas, as it has solvent in it, it could explode.... :rolleyes: Thanks for the offer! :thumb:

chocolate_queen_1.jpg

Chocolate!

I will be making more, I screwed the crown's shape up on this one :p the walnut is very different to turn than the Maple, so this one goes down as practice! ;D

Oh yeah, I got tired of having to pick shavings out of my socks, so I now sport official Dungeon Turning Spats.....

dungeon_spats_1.jpg

Let me tell you they work, no more shavings get in to my shoes!! :D

I caught these on Facebook and my chin is still on the floor! You pulled this off with mechanical precision Stu...and yeah, that's a compliment! I wouldn't leave the house with those socks on!!:D;)

When I saw the picture of your feet surrounded by shavings I had to pause and think for a moment.

My first thought was that your pantalones had dropped during your turning session but I realized that you were donned with fancy foot covers to keep chips out of your shoes and socks.....:rofl: :thumb: