Good Day - Bad Day - Buffing Day

Dan Mosley

Started out by having a good part of the day to myself to play in the garage. Started out by putting together my new buffing machine - 1hp - 1750 and 3450 - dual canton wheels - with mezerna medium and fine compounds for use. So far so good with this new addition. It replaces my little Baldor 1/3 hp which I now use for Tripoli and WD.
Decided to try to finish a project that has been sitting around for along time in the shop - Walnut bowl - Turned and sanded and then I put it to the side because i under estimated the thickness of the bottom and thought I would go thru it when I turned off the tenon - Reverse chucked it up and took the tenon off and broke a hole in the bottom because of how thin it got. I thought about throwing it out to the firewood pile but the grain is wonderful so i chucked up a forestner bit and bored a hole in it. Now the hard part it to figure out if I want to plug it with a walnut plug and sand the plug.............or create a pedestal type thing for it....

anybody else think of anything ? I really hate to discard it

Attachments

• Grinder.jpg
    Grinder.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Ironwood-1.jpg
    Ironwood-1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Friday-2.jpg
    Friday-2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Walnut-1.jpg
    Walnut-1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 40
  • walnut-2.jpg
    walnut-2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 44
My vote would be a pedestal, but that's because every time I've seen a piece with a plug, it looked like...well...a plug. Another option might be to cut the bowl in half and make a pair of wall sconces.

Nice-looking buffer setup. :thumb:

Im going for the pedestal - I have made one now short and fat and ill make another 1 or 2 and post pictures - Im going to make a tenon on one end that will fit into the forestner hole i bored in the bottom. I think ill use either medium Ca or epoxy to attach - sand down the inside and hope it comes out well. Ill post pictures when I can but thanks for the replys.......................
I agree that I will not just plug it becasue it looks just like you said a plug - I do not do the plugging on anything including large vessels I turn for that same reason. I can control the pith fairly well now a days without the drilling out and plugging that some turners do - which again I think kinda ruins the vessel. However, that being said I know some turners that are better than me and its their way ......its just not mine.............Thanks and ill post as soon as I can pics