Split Box Elder Vase Video

What do you do when you have a beautiful piece of wood, but it's cracked in a way that makes it dangerous to turn?

I finally finished editing and uploading a video I made while working on a new piece Split Box Elder Vase. It's my first real attempt at making a video, and I learned a lot about lighting, audio, and how lousy my camera is. Feel free to let me know if I left out important info, if you prefer to see more turning, etc..... I think this would be fun to try again in the future.

There isn't a ton of actual turning, mainly because I didn't use any special techniques or tooling. Rather, it chronicles the process, my thoughts, and the methods used to safely get this piece off the lathe.

Split Box Elder Vase

- Hutch

Attachments

• Drying.jpg
    Drying.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 46
Watched the progress on facebook. The video is great and I can't wait to see how the shape changes as it dries. Thanks for sharing Hutch! :thumb:

Well Matt if that is your first video i think you got nothing to worry about. You did a fine job. :thumb: of explaining and showing the turning. Your passion and excitement and enthusiasm certainly came through the video for me. Kept me hooked to the end.

I have to say the video added the value for me by being able to see just how much went into making the piece and the ingenuity you used to get the wood held in place. I was struggling before seeing the video to imagine how you turned the piece.

I think you got a classic piece here. Who would have thought that crack or split was all the way through like it is. I agree on the bark taking a hike making it better. You have more courage than i would have had to go in and smooth out those ridges. :)

I would have called it a day when i got it hollowed if i had to make it that far.

Do more and post more especially your own videos. Great work. My only comment on the video would be see if you can regulate the volume when you in edting mode. At one point when you walk up to the camera to lift it, your body being close to the mike automatically affected the loundness. But nothing to be too concerned about. Love the whole schebang. :)

Thanks for the great comments Rob! I will have to keep video making a little more in my mind when I go to work on other pieces in the future. And you're definitely right about the volume thing. It was bugging the heck out of me while editing, but I couldn't seem to find any functions that would allow my to change it. Gotta love free software and cheap cameras. :D

- Hutch

That was cool Hutch!! Actually watched the whole thing. You really have a great set up and an eye for making these visions work!

Great video!

I subscribed to your channel, so I'll get all the other videos you put up too!

Lovely piece, and great solutions to a seemingly difficult problem!

Cheers!

I finally had time to watch the video, Hutch, and you did a great job. I like your solution for keeping the piece together. :thumb: Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

BTW, you mentioned the possibility of gluing one or more wood rings around the outside of the piece, and expressed your reluctance to use CA glue. For temporary attachments like that, I've had good results with hot melt glue.

That's a good point Vaughn. For some reason I always forget about that option. :doh: Thanks!

Also, I will be exhibiting this at a local bed and breakfast as part of the 2012 Artprize competition. I will even have an opportunity to turn on site (over the course of 2.5 weeks) and sell whatever I can, which I think is going to be really fun. Woodturning always draws an audience, and watching stuff being made will (hopefully) make the onlookers feel more connected to my work (that is, want to buy my work :D).

- Hutch

You are a natural in front of the camera. I do realize that most "naturals" are natural because they have done a heck of a lot of hard work.

You present very well. You are very well organized. You did well with your camera angles. Your color did get off at a couple points (did you switch illumination source?). Your illumination was correct for showing the work you were doing. Your "speil" was in good logical order and easy to follow (The only negative on that is that I don't know what a 300 or a 100 tool is.).

It was fun and entertaining to watch. You do good work. Thanks for showing.

Enjoy,

JimB

PS. I am probably more critical of this type of thing than most people. I was a radio announcer and disk jockey part of the time when I was going to school. I also did 8 years of part time work on stage. You did a good job!

Last edited: