Maple Platter

Here is the other maple platter I have been working on for a while. Lots of burning but a labor of love. This barn was built by my great grandfather sometime around 1890. I have a couple of piece of wood from it and also a handful of the square nails. The land has been handed down to my uncle who passed away and now his kids are selling it. I went down and got some pictures of it and the home place before it sold. Anyway the platter is maple and is 15" across. It is finished with several coats of poly.

Attachments

• Weishapl Barn Platter 2.jpg
    Weishapl Barn Platter 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 30
Bernie very very cool. For me its super very cool. I am particularly fond of the old barn picture and your pyro work has it showing such that i can picture the real thing. Sad that the farm has to pass out of the family really sad. I mean 1890 and now the young uns dont have the appetite. Glad you got some of the wood i was going to suggest that when i first scanned your post then i read it properly. :) I hope this platter has got the not for sale sign on it and the salespeople in your home honor it. :)

edit
Had another thought Bernie, how about using a small piece of the wood you got from the barn to make a stand for it and engrave the wood with an inscription about it being from the barn in the pic. I think it would make a nice touch.

Thanks Rob and Jeff.

Rob it is funny you should mention no sale. Well my aunt called last night. She was my uncles second wife of 32 yrs and I found out she still owns the barn. She told my uncle she just wanted the land and barn. She wanted to buy the platter. She is also a accomplished painter and has her paintings is several galleries in Kansas and Nebraska. She has two I have had my eye on for some time. Anyway we made a deal that I got the two pictures and $75. I am a happy camper and she is just excited to have it for her collection. Here are the two paintings I will get. Guess that means I turn another platter and burn the barn for me now which will not be for sale.

Attachments

• Aunt Marilyn painting 1.jpg
    Aunt Marilyn painting 1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Aunt Marilyn painting 2.jpg
    Aunt Marilyn painting 2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 17
Thanks again to all. I got the platter turned today and started burning that same barn. My wife says if you don't get $1000 for it, it isn't going anywhere.:rofl: So I guess this one we are keeping and I had planned on it.

... My wife says if you don't get $1000 for it, it isn't going anywhere.....

So there I was, barnstorming an idea, on how to layout on a platter, what a great investment this would be to SWMBO...& She said, "it's a just barn for pete's sake" I
quickly added, "No, it's a 'hay' barn, and this is pure art"...Then she mumbled something about who made me the royal art authority, & that she could 'hear it now'..."please welcome, Barn uhm hay Bale heehee's, Sir cuss"{<coc prevents using the actual words}....WOMEN, sheesh! :doh:

Joking aside clown-smiley.gif I love it Bernie, if not for the couplas{if that's what they're referred to on a barn} and the large door not being on the end, it's almost the spitting image of my grandfathers! :thumb: Well done!

Well thats a great deal Bernie. Those paintings are really cool you got a really good trade. I would hang both those paintings in my home.
You drive a hard bargain.:)
Glad to hear the family is holding on to the land and barn.:thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2