Adding Layers in Sketchup messes up my Scenes...

Art Mulder

Is there a simple solution for this?

I'm working on a complicated design, so I have a LOT of scenes showing different angles and aspects.
I have a lot of layers to help organize things.

The problem is that when I create a new layer, that new layer suddenly shows up on ALL my scenes.

Let me give an example: I have a scene showing just the drawers of a cabinet. I added a layer for the dimensions. Added dimension lines all over the place showing the various measurements on the drawers. Great. But now this new layer shows up on my other scenes. So I have a scene, for instance, that just shows the carcass from different angles. I now have to go back to each scene and click the button to hide this new layer and then update the scene.

Is there some simple way around this?

tanks
...art

Hi Art, there are two solutions to your problem. First, make the layers before you make the scenes. In general, that is my work flow for every project. Draw the model, create layers, make layer assignments, create scenes. Of course that's for next time for you. For this project you could use a plugin called Add Hidden Layer. This will create layers that are, by default, hidden in all scenes. This works well for those scenes you've created already but for new scenes, you'll have to create the scene, turn the layer on and update the scene.