Mobile base swivel castors orientation

I have a Grizzly 19" bandsaw that I bought a mobile base for. This is the shopfox model with two fixed and two swivel castors. Should I put the swivel castors on the front of the base or back or side?

Think about parking a car. If you have a very narrow space, you can back it in quite precisely (fixed wheels at the back), but you need a far wider space with the steering/swivel wheels going in the space first. However, when you are driving down the street (or running through your shop pushing the bandsaw) it is easier if the steering wheels are in front. Many/most grocery stores have carts with 2 fixed and two swivel wheels. Play around with them. (But my simple answer is the fixed wheels at the back)

It depends what you man by the 'front', but I made a wheeled base for my bandsaw, and put the swivel casters on the short end. This makes it easy to wheel about. My son put casters on the tool box he bought me for Christmas and put the swivel casters on the long side, making it nearly impossible for me to manoeuvre. Fortunately, now that it's in place I don't want to move it. :rolleyes:

99% of the time, you want the swivel castors nearest you and the rigid castors furthest from you. That works best either pulling it toward you or pushing it away from you.

If it has a handle, it goes on the end with the swivel castors.

Just like a little red wagon you had as a kid. Works pulling and pushing.

when i built my first work bench, i had fixed and swiveling casters. after the first five minutes, i rolled it over, and replaced the 2 fixed with swiveling. much more maneuverable now.