Bandsaw Table

Roger Tulk

I built this today with some parts I picked up at LV on Thursday. There are a few woodworking solecisms in it, but I'm still a beginner in many ways. I added the mitre gauge groove and the T-tracks to a basic table design in Rick Peters' Bandsaw Fundamentals.

The track on the left doesn't quite fit because by the time I realized that, I figured that a) it will still work, and b) if I try to fix it, I'll probably make it worse. The groove for the mitre gauge went too deep as I was carefully sneaking up on the ½" depth and it suddenly gave me the slip. I took people's advice on not taking too much at once, however, and came up with a wonderfully smooth 1" x 9/16" groove with a 3/4" straight bit.

The table is held in place by wooden cams according to the instructions. I varnished it and am going to wax it tomorrow when the varnish is hardened.

bstable01.jpgbstable02.jpg

Total cost about $30. Except for the bolts for the cams, this is all glued together.

I also made wooden jaw inserts for my small, ancient wood vise, which are held in place by magnets, and roughed out seven cutting boards, so I was busy, eh?

Nice job Roger!!

So do you have a brick and morter Lee-Valley store near you? I love their Veritas tools and their hardware. I order on line; but would love to brouse their store.

looks good to me roger,, now what brand of saw is that?

It's a Rockwell/Beaver, made in Guelph, Ontario in 1981. It's a 10" saw with 6" cutting height.

Yes, I do have a real Lee Valley about 60km away, so I don't get there a lot. They have most of their products on display behind glass cases. To buy something you fill in a form with the catalogue number, and a clerk goes and gets it from the back. That's the way we used to buy beer and liquor in Ontario until the 70s; it's a bit strange.

Thanks for the compliments, guys! :)