"Bondage of leek & peppers"

Hi Guys.

I apologize for having been so scarce in my posts lately. As an act of ammendment I'm postig this pic of a project I just finished.

It is a carving imitating the style of Grinling Gibbons (1648–1721), althought the concept is entirely mine.
It has been a real challenge, and I've learnt a lot making it, honestly I never thought I would succeed and be satisfyed with the result

The background is a board lined with dark red velvet. The wood is linden wood. The black nails are made from a piece of ebannon that Glenn kindly gave me a couple of years ago and that I hadn't used because I thought it deserved a good place to be used. Thanks again Glenn.

As usual I'm a better carver than photographer. Please excuse the bad quality of the pic.

Comments, critics and suggestions welcome.

leek&peppers01.jpg

Last edited:
Well it has been some time Toni, but that piece saved you:) Your carving just gets better and better my friend :thumb: Ths piece is absolutely FANTASTIC:thumb::thumb::thumb: Now gotta pull it up again and study it:)

Oh my goodness Toni, that is a wonderful piece. I am always fascinated by people who have the gift you have. There is an old joke about how to carve an elephant; "take a piece of wood and remove everything that doesn't look like an elephant". That process surely wouldn't work for me but, I see it works for you. Better and better with every piece I see. Congrats.

That's really amazing Toni. I have a feeling someday you'll have your own art exhibit with these pieces of yours. :thumb:

Thanks a lot Glenn, to be honest there were times that I thought I was going to obtain some sort of elephant instead of what I wanted to achieve.:rofl:
Tom, Larry, Carol, Glenn, Brent... and the rest I missed you all.

Amazing work, Toni. Thanks for sharing it with us. Was this done using hand tools only or did you do some power carving as well?
Thanks Mohammad, no power carving at all, it is a technique that for an unkown reason it eludes me. I have a dremel and some burrs but I'm not comfortable using them

WOW! An awesome job there! That's simply amazing! What's the scale of it?
Thanks Tom. It is almost life size, the background panel measures 91x55cm ( 35.8 x 21.6")

Toni, as usual just superb. I will be admiring another one of your pieces in a few hours just as I do every Sunday.
Thanks Don. It was my pleasure to collaborate on your project.

I think you know how i feel about this piece. Has the recipient seen it yet? Toni is there any finish on it? Just thinking of things like dust etc in the air over time and the need to wipe it down? You really are an wood artist. :) I prefer a black background.

Oh. My. Goodness. That is absolutely stunning work, Toni. :bow:

I have no idea how a person can do that type of carving, but it's obvious that you have it figured out. This is a masterpiece, both artistically and technically. :clap: