So, what's next? Tools that is!

Well now that I have my tablesaw, I have only three items left that I want.

In no particular order.

1) 17" bandsaw for resawing. Thinking G0513X2B http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X2B

2) 8" jointer, with spiral head and parallelogram bed. Thinking G0490Xhttp://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490X

3) W&H Molding machine. OK, I don't know why, I just want one. http://www.williamsnhussey.com/collections/molders

Some where along the line, I will need a good dust collection system. It is a given, so I am not counting it.

So, what is on your long term list?

1. Half set of hollows and rounds

2. Pair of half rounds

3. Infill smoother

4. Paring chisels

5. Cranked paring chisels.

6. New driver (Ping or Taylor Made)

Well first thing is an electrical upgrade to the garage so I can get....

1. Dust Collector
2. 17" bandsaw
3. Bigger, Better lathe
4. More HP, better router
5. Bigger chainsaw

Hoping to get to the electrical upgrade and dust collector this summer.

steve the W&H is work horse, but you need to make alot of molding to make it worth while and around our parts, there are to many commercial shops making straight trim,, but the curved trim is where the hussy can come into play..

i used to want a bryd head for the planer but that is a long ways off now.. unless i can sell alot of my extra toys or supplies.

your other choices are good ones..

1) Grinder (mine burnt up last week)

2) Dust Collector

3) New shop computer and multiple monitors

4) A lathe...yes I know....but no a metal lathe :D

5) A milling machine

Not much. A few things would be fun (CNC, larger planer, better miter saw, spiral head for jointer) but, all in all, I have about all I want and more than I need. What I could really use is a large clock that I could slow down or turn off so hours in the shop are not at the expense of those needed elsewhere.

I'm pretty well set up, but there is always a list of "golly, wouldn't this be nice" items.

1. I have a 6" jointer, but a larger one would be nice. Then again, after my current projects, I want to concentrate on smaller items.

2. Improve air flow in my spray area. (Ideally, build a seperate finish room, but I really don't want to do any more building additions.

3. Laser engraver. Yeah - a dream that won't come true, but I can dream, can't I? :huh:

1) Sawstop PCS.... That's been on the list for a few years. Problem is the price is high enough that I keep spending my "savings" on other must-have tools which keeps pushing off the Sawstop! :huh: Partly I already have a fair TS, so a forklift upgrade is tough to justify.

Steve, I picked up the older version of that BS last year, and it's very good!

As for the jointer, well that won't happen as long as I'm in my compact basement shop. I'll stick with my 6" Jointer. But I have to say that something like the Jet JJP-12 gets my attention these days. Get's good reviews, and would give me wider ability than the 8". Hmmm.

...art

Curious what the advantage(s) of the W&H is over a woodmaster (besides price..)? I'd like to have room for a molder, I don't need a molder :D

• A smaller chainsaw, the only one I have is the 70cc 24" one I got from my grandpa. A lighter 16" or 18" one for small stuff would be handy
  • A bigger shop, not that mine is super small, but it shares space with other stuff.. and its relatively well stocked so.. yeah..

I have a long list of wouldn't it be sweet ifs (24"+ bandsaw, edge sander, molder, etc..) but am not planning on getting any of them for the indefinite future.

I've pretty much got everything thin I need, but I really want to upgrade to an 8" jointer, add a bigger band saw so I can keep it set up for resawing and leave my little one for scrolling, I'm always on the lookout for more routers (I only have four and that is not enough :p) and I really want a power feeder. After that it's just adding to my collection of hand tools. I always need more carving gouges and my collection of hand saws definitely need upgrading. I made my first wooden plane a while back and I definitely will be doing more of that as the occasion warrants.

Id like a bigger planer and jointer, but I dont see any reason to buy one anymore.
for my skill level, what I have is more than enough.
If I was knocking out 10 thousand dollar pieces of furniture for customers, then maybe Id upgrade to make life easier.

Just order my Rockler Shark CNC, so I have 2 or 3 years before I can put anything else on my list, but here goes.

Bigger shop
Better dust collection system
SawStop TS
and more lathe tools ( can never have enough) :rofl:

I suppose (well actually, I know) that I have been brainwashed, but I would like a SawStop Cabinet saw.

I don't go for it because it seems to be an expense I don't need. I have an old Craftsman that Glenn has so well tuned that a new saw could not possibly be better. I have been using a table saw for 72 years and I can still count to 10 without taking off my shoes. I have had one kick-back which I discussed in a FWW thread 2 or 3 years ago.

When I want to rip I go to the Band Saw. It is much easier than the TS (It is tuned so I just use the fence. I don't have any drift to worry about or compensate for.)

Don't mind the ramble above. I am still talking my self out of the SawStop.

Enjoy,

JimB

Some where along the line, I will need a good dust collection system. It is a given, so I am not counting it.

This should have been first but, since you blew that chance and got that dirty old saw first, at least make it next. Dust collection should be your next priority IMHO. :thumb: