Making Modifications

Dave Richards

So early this morning I was checking through the various woodworking forums and a fellow was looking for a plan for a step stool. Someone else provided a link to a stool with two steps including the top. (How many steps would OSHA say there are?) but he was looking for one with three steps. It was a simple task to model the two stepper and then modify it into 3 steps. I think this is something that may get overlooked by many users of SketchUp. In much the same way as you can try variations of your own design, you can modify existing projects to suit your needs. There's no reason to re-invent the wheel, then. In the case of this step stool The additional step is a copy of the first one. The parts are all components so they are easily copied. Only the front to back stretchers needed to be modified and that required a Make Unique step before editing.

I've got several quick and dirty diagrams of lathe-related things (like friction chucks) that I modify and re-use quite a bit when I'm explaining things to people. I'm nowhere near your level with Skletchup, but even at my remedial level it's a very useful tool. :thumb:

Vaughn, the level doesn't matter (thank you for the compliment, though) as long as your drawings get the job done, that's all that matters.

Some years ago I made a rack to hold my wife's skis. Here's the SketchUp model for it.

ski rack.jpg

Dave, I've used simple diagrams like that just to figure out dimensions or spacing for things. I can easily divide three feet into thirds, but if I need to divide 3' 5 3/8" into thirds, SketchUp can save the day. :thumb: