where to buy a gouge

Ned Bulken

I'm thinking I might want to invest in a gouge or two for carving out my spoons.

Can any of you neander type folks suggest a source where I can get one? I'd like one with a relatively gentle/shallow curve. My spoon plane:
businessend.jpg
is just about right, but I want to be able to do deeper spoons. I thought about a Scorp also, what would you recommend for spoons that have bowls more like
Im007487.jpg

Thanks to Bill Edwards of handcrafted wooden spoons (no affiliation, just borrowing his image)

All the above.
But really you have mentioned several good techniques for doing this work. I think all you have to do is find the brand you like. I have Swiss tools. While some others prefer German made tools. If you have access to a catalog for The Wood craft shop, they show a diagram of the curve on each tool.

Hi Ned,

My grandfather used a knife with a heavy crook to it for carving out his spoons. I use to have a link or two to some carving tools web sites on my old drive. I'll see if I can locate them if you would like.

Take care, Mike

Edited to add that the spoon is great looking!

I'm thinking I might want to invest in a gouge or two for carving out my spoons.

Can any of you neander type folks suggest a source where I can get one? I'd like one with a relatively gentle/shallow curve.
Ned: Check out this site www.chippingaway.com, ask for Dennis or Pop, same guys. They are the largest carving supply mail order company in Canada, they'll ship to the US.

If you are talking to Dennis, tell him I sent you. It won't get you anywhere, you'll just have something to talk about.

ned, the two "big boys" are phiel and two cherries.......at least i think so:eek:
phiel is "swiss-made" and two cherries is "german" both are very good high end chisels......it`s kinda like the ford/chevy analogy.
myself i like german steel..........tod

Try KMS Tools for Pfeil carving tools. Good people to deal with and good prices.

Just another thought - sharpening carving tools is a bit tricky. If you can find someone who is good at it to give you some pointers, it'll help.

Mike

Most of my carving tools are simply labeled "Swiss made". My friend has nearly a thousand carving tools and most of his are the same make. Considering his results and long time experience, I'll guess they are good ones. The best carving magazine out there is called Chip-Chats. It has ads for the larger carving supply houses.

Ned,

I'm not a spoon carver, but I understand that bent knives suggested by Mike Wenzloff are the cat's PJs for spoon carving. Bent knives are Northwestern Native American carving tools that have been broadly adopted by the carving community. I'm sure you can find them other places, but The Japan Woodworker has North Bay Forge bent knives in their catalog. They also have some interesting scorps and such for small scale hollow carvings. Try this linky:

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=12718

I have no affiliation with either Japan Woodworker or North Bay Forge.

Hank