Shop Renovation: Ned's Shop gets a facelift: Relocation plans

Put a 20x20 furnace filter against the back side of it and take care of a lot of older dust... I try and keep dust down in my shop it isn't good for you...

You are on a roll with the shop and things are looking good!

I use a 16x20 filter in front of my window ac, to filter out the fine dust before it hits the ac filter, easier to keep the unit clean.

I didnt put in a fan to remove dust, I wanted some air to breath, but it stirred up too much dust.

Allen
It still moves a lot of air and I try to get most of my dust at it's source. Not all of it of course but as much as I can. The box fan and filter won't catch what you are generating at that time of course. But I find it helps quite a bit. I might even try push pull box fans one of these day. One pulling air away from me and catching dust and another headed at me and still catching dust. Of course I don't spend near as much time in the shop as you do...

Garry

Tripped coming out of the shop just now... let's just say my pride wasn't the only thing bruised... and that I'm going to have one whopper of a bruise tomorrow on me bum. Monday's project... clear the entire front of the shop (outside) of everything that could trip me... and re-install the steps.

wallinstalled.jpg

happywoodworker.jpg

James helped me get my workbench in the shop again finally!

I found a cool bracket settin' around to help string up my speaker wire.

bracket.jpg

It's great to see you back in the shop again Ned. Been too long.
Looking great :thumb:
Thanks Bob, really enjoying being out there again, especially since it finally is going to be a Shop, as organized as I can make it (I harbor no illusions that it will ever be 'organized' in the truest sense of the word). I'm suffering from a bit of 'what next' syndrome... ie, where do I clean/fix/sort/etc... next.

Nice looking speaker wire bracket. :thumb: You're going to enjoy having that wall space too.

wait til you guys get a load of how I'm going to cover that wall later tonight.

well, later tonight turned into this morning for various reasons.
I've loved traveling the USA & Canada (though not nearly as much up north as I have here in the states), and being an ex trucker, I always update my atlas every couple of years, so I have several on hand. Well, one of them is now serving as wall art in my shop:
mapwall.jpg

Somehow my staple gun is missing the slide, so I either have to wait til I find the slide, or buy a new gun. (Actually I bet I could go steal the slide out of Mark K's copy of the gun I have, as he only has it because a mutual friend gave him one as a gag gift).
SO I used blue tape to temporarily hold up the maps.

Wow! A shop that has wall space for art. That is something I have never had. I like the idea. Too much stuff stored on the walls looks very busy and isn't as soothing as art. My woman cave needs more soothing. Thanks for the idea, Ned. This will require some serious thinking as to its implementation. No smiley here, guys and gals. I am serious. The w-cave needs to be less stressful than it is.

That's a great start to an art wall. I've got some old bicycle license plates I got as a kid. I've been thinking about doing a cut-out of the U.S. and putting them up on. Will be on the upper part of the wall of the shop. They are like these, but I have all 50 state tags...
$(KGrHqF,!hsE+lNNkupBBQBE8Y7hG!~~60_57.jpg

Wow! A shop that has wall space for art. That is something I have never had. I like the idea. Too much stuff stored on the walls looks very busy and isn't as soothing as art. My woman cave needs more soothing. Thanks for the idea, Ned. This will require some serious thinking as to its implementation. No smiley here, guys and gals. I am serious. The w-cave needs to be less stressful than it is.
You're welcome Carol, but I don't know that I 'have room for' it, more that the walls are bare at the moment And I took advantage of it. I've been saving maps for years, intending to do this. Looking forward to seeing what you do in your w-cave. I plan on putting shelves and what not up on there eventually, and I will be attaching them right over the maps. Well, other than the ones just above the bench top. The rest are 'hey, I remember being there at one time or another maps. A couple are special because of family ties there, such as :
homemap.jpg

That shows where I grew up, plus where I live now and includes Syracuse, which is the 'major' city nearby.

This one shows a favorite lake where I spent many a summer: Pocono Lake in NE Pennsylvania.
plpmap.jpg

That's a great start to an art wall. I've got some old bicycle license plates I got as a kid. I've been thinking about doing a cut-out of the U.S. and putting them up on. Will be on the upper part of the wall of the shop. They are like these, but I have all 50 state tags...
View attachment 69013

Those are cool Darren, that's one collection I would like to get...

Lori and I want to hit every state together, someday. We've done about half a dozen together, but I want to do a lot more traveling with her in the coming years. I'm sure we'll find some way to commemorate the trips.

Well, all of that acreage of wall space May soon be filled up (who am I kidding, I have 240 sf of floor space, and just a tad over 180 sf of wall space... (figuring the open areas of my walls above my benches and tools)) . SO I will be hanging stuff on the walls. The maps are going to stay, they may just be 'behind' or between stuff that will go over them. That's fine, they're not really being used as Maps, but as reminders of where I've traveled.

I've been doing a lot of web research, both here on FWW and elsewhere (Lumberjocks, Wood online, etc...) for jigs, shop storage tips and whatnot), and I think I'm going to install a set of french cleats in that corner of the shop I just finished, as well as a set above the miter saw station.

Question for those who have installed french cleats: how wide did you make your cleats 2" 3"?

Well, I spent a couple of hours sifting through stuff out in the shop, Then dinner and family stuff got in the way... I emptied several cardboard boxes... Now I need to sort out the wheat from the chaff...

benchwhatbench.jpg

Bench? what Bench??

Glenn, Stu et al...
I'm starting to use up that wall space:

dovetailjig.jpg

or is that a decoration? (bought the jig used, never have used it...)