Today we started my next project....and she's already customizing it....

I have a video and plans for Norm's Hanging Porch Swing. I was going to make it in secret while the LOML was in Illinois visiting her Mom but when I told her I was spending some money on materials while she was gone....she guessed what my project was going to be.

Hearing telephone conversations isn't yet an easy situation for me, so I decided to acknowledge that is what I planned and let her do the phone work.

So we checked.....teak....$31.00 a bd.ft for 4/4 and $32.00 a bd. ft. for 8/4. There went that idea! So I checked with my suppliers in Spokane, Moscow, ID, and Kennewick, WA on the availability of teak and cypress........their distributors didn't handle 8/4 cypress but could special order 4/4 cypress. In the end, we settled on white oak and I ordered some Epifane Marine Varnish to use as the finish. Then I ordered the stainless steel screws and hardware. Tomorrow, we drive to Moscow, ID to get the white oak. It's close enough and they have a large enough supply that I can drive there should I need more in the future.

So then came the customization by the LOML.......she checked on orderable cushions for the new swing....suddenly the 48" long swing got stretched to 64".....the seat got deepened from 16" to 22"......to fit the cushions....

Oh well....I got a couple new Katana router bits out of the deal.......but now I have to change the drawings.....and modify the seat design somewhat. LOL!

I love that woman!

Last edited:
She is on top of things Ken. At least she forewarned you of the needed changes and didn't look at you with the, "you built it once, aren't you capable of remodeling it to fit the cushions look"!!!! Sounds like a great project and look forward to seeing it come to fruition.