Healthy(er) Brownies

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
We had a health class here at work today and were asked to bring something healthy to snack on, so I asked my wife to make some of her brownies. She's been making these for a while and honestly we don't even notice a difference between it and the regular recipe. This one doesn't use eggs or oil, it's replaced with canned pumpkin. So just a box of brownie mix combined with a can of the pumpkin pie filling.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/468089-how-to-bake-with-canned-pumpkin-instead-of-eggs-oil/

She's used pumpkin with pancake mix too instead of oil and eggs, works well, but notice the pumpkin and spices in them. We just compliment it with pecans and syrup. ;)

its hard to imagine a large company taking time to teach there help healthy choices instead of just cracking the whip to get more work out.. sounds like you found a good place to work darren..

its hard to imagine a large company taking time to teach there help healthy choices instead of just cracking the whip to get more work out.. sounds like you found a good place to work darren..

It is a good place. The class was over the lunch hour and put on by our insurance carrier (bluekc.com). I think they are one of the few that have understood that making healthier clients leads to reduced costs for them overall.

They've teamed with Hallmark (cards) for a program called "points to blue". It's a voluntary program and you can participate whenever you want. Basically you enter any exercise, team activities, walking, mowing the yard, etc. into the tracker and you get points for each up to a max of 500 per day. After 25,000 points you can cash the points in for gift cards at most of the major retailers (1000 points = $1). The health class was 25,000 points alone, but I did learn a lot from it. Have given back another belt notch by just watching my eating and doing a half plate of veggies at each meal over the past 6 weeks. That whole "chew" your food thing also helps, been taking the time to do so and only eating about 70% what I normally would most days.