Brass Measuring Bars

Greg Brimer

Since I am a machinist I thought I would make me some brass measuring bars. We have plenty of scrap brass plate because of the type work we do. Took me about an hour to finish all four bars.

Attachments

• Brass Bars.jpg
    Brass Bars.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 60
Nice! Good idea. Did you have to mill it down to size or was it there already?

...soooo what would some "scrap" brass plate cost me?... For ww'n tool builds. :)

The plate is about .015 over 3/4". I milled it down to 3/4 and 1/2. Then I took a piece of 3/4 and split it in half with the band saw so that I could make the 3/8 and 1/4 out of one piece.
I wish I could give you some but I can't get any. We stock it up for awhile and then make a big sale to the scrap yard. My boss lets us use any metal we have laying around that is not for jobs just as long that it is for us only.

Greg Brimer said:
The plate is about .015 over 3/4". I milled it down to 3/4 and 1/2. Then I took a piece of 3/4 and split it in half with the band saw so that I could make the 3/8 and 1/4 out of one piece.
I wish I could give you some but I can't get any. We stock it up for awhile and then make a big sale to the scrap yard. My boss lets us use any metal we have laying around that is not for jobs just as long that it is for us only.

Makes sense! I've had no luck finding anyone near who sells brass bar. Shipping is more than the brass online... I'll bite the bullet sooner or later.

Once again, nice job!

Great job. I envy you metal skilled folks. I have a couple sets of 4" and a couple of the short sets as well. I also have four 1-2-3 blocks that live with them in their various locations around the shop. Once you start using setup blocks of any flavor, your approach to things changes. These would definitely be on my wish lists for birthdays and holidays if I didn't have them.