Movie Screen

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up a digital projector this weekend, my wife has been wanting one for a while now and figured we'd use it with the photo booth events from time to time.

We decided to test it out on Saturday night by watching movies around the pool. So I picked up white muslin, a couple of cup hooks, and 1x3's. Using the Kreg jig I joined the boards to create the frame, then stretched and stapled the muslin over the frame. We hung the screen by cup hooks under the main beam supporting our deck.

I changed the projection setting to be from the rear and setup the projector, dvd player, and stereo on a rolling cart from behind. Worked really well, I think I'll be building a dedicated cart for the equipment for future outdoor movies. The screen measured at 8' x 5', but given the distance, we had about a 85" - 96" (diagonal) projection.

Will get some better pics of the screen when I get home, this was from the other night.
screen.jpg

do yourself a favor.
Look at sites like wallyworld and etc.........purchase an inflatable screen. takes 2 minutes to set up, comes in a bag, and you can take it anywhere where there is a plug, and it inflates in one minute.(I think my screen is 1o or 12 foot diagonal)
I paid 169 I believe for mine couple of years back, from wallyworld online, and its the best thing Ive invested in along with the digital projector(I dont keep it here anymore, my son has it all at his home)

Also looking for the make and model of project. Actually plan to order one today. Pretty much made up my mind but more information is always good. Looking at the Casio LED/LCD models. Pricey but no fragile bulb and I need it to haul around. Also negates the need for a large flatscreen. Now I will also look at the inflatable screen. Thanks, Allen.

Very cool, Darren. :thumb: How's the picture quality when projecting it through the muslin?
Very good actually. It's a pretty bright white muslin with a tight weave.

What model did you get?
The Epson 710HD. Had planned to get the EX7210 based on cost, but it was out of stock. I think the features are just about equal on both except the 710HD will connect to smart phones and macs. I really was surprised when I powered it down and it shut off right away. Apparently it's a different kind of bulb and doesn't require the cool-off period like most projectors. Bulb is suppose to be good for 4,000 to 5,000 hours.

do yourself a favor.
Look at sites like wallyworld and etc.........purchase an inflatable screen.
I was considering that, looks like a very nice setup. I assume it's front projection though. I really liked not having the equipment out where it was going to be in the way.

Carol, I didn't look at the casios, those do look like they'd hold up well, replacement bulb for mine will be $150 - $200, so probably worth the money if you're going to use it a lot.

I'll probably be getting a projection screen that goes on a tripod as we'll be using it at corporate and wedding events. The one I've been looking at is the epson duet: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Epson-Due...80503&sourceid=1500000000000003142050&veh=cse

It compacts and folds down to a pretty small size and is only about 25 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTSwW7lJts

A couple of years ago, I got an InFocus for the church where I was at the time. We were very gentle with the projector but the bulb failed with less than 100 hours on it. Very disappointed, and now very leery. That is why I am looking at the LED Casio even though the cost will be significantly higher. Have to make a purchasing decision today. I need it for a class on June 7.

Question on sound, Darren. Is the sound from your computer adequate or have you added a separate sound system and if so, what did you get?

A couple of years ago, I got an InFocus for the church where I was at the time. We were very gentle with the projector but the bulb failed with less than 100 hours on it. Very disappointed, and now very leery. That is why I am looking at the LED Casio even though the cost will be significantly higher. Have to make a purchasing decision today. I need it for a class on June 7.

Question on sound, Darren. Is the sound from your computer adequate or have you added a separate sound system and if so, what did you get?

For that night we used a "ipod" dock that had external inputs. It was good enough, but I've got an extra stereo receiver that will be used in the final cart build. It will depend on the size of your room, but perhaps a set of external amplified speakers may be needed.

Darren that is such a cool idea. Dont know why i did not think of this before. What a way to entertain the NN before we hit the road. Mmmm now to choose a movie. :) Any suggestions that would suite my NN. Perhaps Empire Strikes back. :)

I picked up a BenQ Ms614 quiet a while back. $378 at new egg. Due to the cost of lamps i was not prepared to spend big dollars and also wanted a HDMI port. Works very well for my purposes.

Carol i do presentations direct from my Motorola smartphone with it hooked up to the HDMI port on the projector and the phone. The phone has a docking station that allows me to connect my blue tooth mouse and also a remote slide advance and on the phone i run an app which is Quickoffice Pro. It has word, excel powerpoint and pdf capability. No more lugging computers and my projector fits in a nice small bag. When the lamp goes i will just chuck it and buy another.

OK. Pulled the trigger on a "ViewSonic PJD5133 SVGA DLP Projector - HDMI, 2700 Lumens, 3000:1 DCR, 120Hz/3D Ready, Speaker" from Amazon for $352. Less than a flatscreen and an acceptable entry level projector. Got another deal in the works that is going take a bunch more bucks so trying to save a few on this purchase.