Will super glue stick to lacquer?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I may need to attach a metal (pewter) item to a wood surface that has been finished with spray lacquer. Will it stick? As an alternative, I might be able to drill a couple of small holes into each piece, super glue some thin metal rod in place, and then drill matching holes in the wood so they act as dowels. Overkill? These are accent pieces and I don't expect they will ever see much stress.:huh:

The glue should definitely stick to the metal and the lacquer. The big question is how well the lacquer is stuck to the wood. If they are just lightweight decorative pieces, they should be OK, but if there's any concern about them coming off, I think the metal dowel/pin approach would be more stout.

I would use a two part epoxy.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

if you have concerns on the lacquers adhesion properties.. is there a possibility of using some stainless brads, or removing the finish to get to bare wood for the epoxy that mike mentions?

Thanks all - good info!

Removing a bit of the lacquer would be the best choice, but scares me given I'm working with a finished piece and I am notoriously clumsy.:rofl: Let me mull all this over a bit. :D

Epoxy would be best. CA glue is tricky stuff sometimes. I'd mask off where you want it, trace its location onto the masking tape. The drill some shallow holes for the epoxy to seep into. Also cut the tape back and rough up the surface with something course like 80 grit. I'd do the backside of the emblem too. Keep some alcohol and a rag handy to clean up anything that works its way out. Acetone or MEK work the beat with epoxy, but I'm not sure how they react with laquer.