Finish to use on tiger

Thanks! The dye does look nice. What clear finish would be recommended for something like a tool that is handled often?

Poly, for durability, but it'll chip and scratch, and be harder to 'touch up.'

Tung oil makes a nice feeling finish in your hand, and is easy to replenish. The dirt and oils in/on your hands will discolor it somewhat, and makes for a nice 'patina.' :)

I used shellac on the spokeshave, and it's holding up well.

Figured maple like that is popular with gun builders. The most common approach to bringing out the stripe is to use an acid. Aqua Fortis is the main one used. For use it is diluted quite a bit. No scientific amount. Usually less experienced users, like me, make very dilute. The solution is tested on scrap. In use apply and wait to see how much the color 'pops'. Add more and continue until desired effect is achieved. Then the wood must be neutralized to prevent the acid from continuing to darken. And, without neutralizing, eventually the wood may attain a greenish color that many find undesirable. Sand and finish. Tung oil will darken but is very moisture resistant and durable. High grade BLO is a good choice.

BLO or tung oil would be my choices. Either would pop the grain nicely. BLO will darken the wood a little bit more than tung oil. If you're looking for a bit darker tone, the dye approach Jim mentioned works well. TransTint Honey Amber for a more golden tone; light or medium brown for something a bit more, um, brown. :thumb:

For a tool that's going to be used, I think I'd just go with the oil and not bother with a clear coat.

I would just use BLO. When it drys it makes a really hard finish and it will pop the figure. Easy to renew if needed at a future datejust light sand and re-apply

It's actually a pretty soft finish compared to most others, but it's still a great finish for a handtool for all the other reasons you mentioned. ;)

IMG_1526.JPGMake it quick and easy, use and alcohol base stain. Dark walnut 1sr ro do the deep figure and then wipe down with damp alcohol rag to remove the stain off the lighter harder wood. Now take Golden Oak stand wipe on this will not discolor the darker stand a will bring life to the harder wood. Let dry , seal and finish.

Last edited:
View attachment 67734Make it quick and easy, use and alcohol base stand. Dark walnut 1sr ro do the deep figure and then wipe down with damp alcohol rag to remove the stain off the lighter harder wood. Now take Golden Oak stand wipe on this will not discolor the darker stand a will bring life to the harder wood. Let dry , seal and finish.

I'm assuming stand = stain?

get a hair dryer and a sponge, dampen the wood, blow it dry then sand with 320. repeat this 2 or 3 times. this will remove the burring. Now after you stain you will not have to sand this much. . a couple of light coat of sealer on finishing you'll be done.

get a hair dryer and a sponge, dampen the wood, blow it dry then sand with 320. repeat this 2 or 3 times. this will remove the burring. Now after you stain you will not have to sand this much. . a couple of light coat of sealer on finishing you'll be done.

Or do like the old timers did. Use broken glass and scrape the wood. But be careful. :eek: