Off to the Apple store...

Ned Bulken

My mother wants a new iPad, and I'm about 3 miles from the 'closest' Apple store, so I'm going to go shopping for her today... going to pick up a 32 Gig wifi only (she won't need 4G) white ipad, plus an airport extreme router and some other accessories for her.

I'm in serious iPad lust right now, but with the move, I'm just going to have to save up awhile and get my own later.

My wife loves hers and I think my daughter uses it more than she does. I'm just holding out for work to buy me one, they will eventually.
well my 'new boss' will buy me one eventually... Since I'm the new boss, it will simply be an expense for the studio. Second or third '$700' I make will go toward that (or I'll simply start saving up for one out of photo profits).

You'll like that Airport Extreme router. It's the best, and most powerful - router I've had. I can use my laptop in the hammock, a full 150 feet away from the house, amd still get a 130mpps signal.

I also put an airport 'repeater' module in the shop - about 100 feet and ffour interfering walls away from the Extreme, and I fet 130 mps there, too.

Pricey stuff (like everything Apple) but definitely worth it.

You'll like that Airport Extreme router. It's the best, and most powerful - router I've had. I can use my laptop in the hammock, a full 150 feet away from the house, amd still get a 130mpps signal.

I also put an airport 'repeater' module in the shop - about 100 feet and ffour interfering walls away from the Extreme, and I fet 130 mps there, too.

Pricey stuff (like everything Apple) but definitely worth it.

Jim, I have an airport extreme for my iMac up in NY, and you're right, best router I've ever owned.

incidentally, Using the new iPad now, too cool, and I 'need' one even worse now!

Apple sauce, apple pie, apple cider, fried apples are all ok in my books, Apple tech products, I don't like .

FWIW, all my computers are Dell, but the Apple Airport Extreme router is the best I've used, including Linksys, and several other brands. In nearly two years, it's been trouble free - never even neede a reboot. I like it.

Disclaimer: I'n not affiliated with Apple, but I do own an iPod 2.

Normally I would totally be in Steves camp. But i have to sheepishly admit the products they make work. Of course had others chosen to restrict all sorts to only their designs then perhaps we would be supporting many more varieties of operating systems today.
It sure is easier to make a suite of software that works on only your hardware platform and make it perform if you have no one else to cater to. But then i dont think we would have had the low cost computers around the world today. :)

My only beef with Apple is the way they tie you in and want to control your life. I do think its a great business model for them but i am not a shareholder :)

What we also do not see in this tech world is the cross licencing that takes place of patented technology. There are some things that often are not attributable to Apple or for that matter any other brand but they get the credit.

My wife needed an ipad for certain apps at school. being a teacher and having to use specific apps for teaching english and social studies you would think the school would buy her one.:(

anyway, i found a used one on craigs list. ipad first edition wifi, 64mb and leather case for $200 (my secret tool fund is now short $200) . works great and she is happy. that's all that matters I guess :)

I'll delve in on this more tomorrow, I just got in from Richmond after a full day's work...
I have an iMac, and an ipod Touch (or as I think of it a mini iPad), and plan on buying both an iPad for my studio and an iPhone. I've done windows, have seen linux, and choose to buy Apple because they just work. Open the box, set it up, turn it on and you're good to go. I agree and understand that their 'Way' isn't for everyone. That's fine... I simply like how their products work for me.

I resisted Apple for decades. Then I got tired of PC hassles and plunked down the coin for a MacBook. Appreciative of the fact that it works. And it works well for me on many levels. Decided it is silly to dismiss items for any reason other than how well it functions. And experience often determines how well things function.

Apple sauce, apple pie, apple cider, fried apples are all ok in my books,

Here's my desk at work -- photo NOT taken with an apple product... :rolleyes::rofl:
27" iMac, and I just scored a surplus 24" Samsung, which I am "Storing" on my desk. :D

imac+mon.jpg

Of course what bugs me about my iMac is that I can't add another monitor...

Seriously, I know there are some (IMHO) very bad design decisions made by apple. If I ever need to replace the HD in my iMac, I will need to go THROUGH THE FRONT -- pull the glass, pull the LCD. :crash: This is, I think, a rather stupid design decision just so the back of the iMac could be smooth an not marred by access panels. I wonder what percentage of iMacs face a wall, rendering that hidden anyway? :huh:

But I'm very happy with how it all just works. Haven't got an iPad yet. I went with the far-cheaper playbook, since I was paying my own money, and in my case it is a toy more than a tool.

ta,
...art

ps: I have the wireless apple magic mouse, but I need a wheel mouse for reasons that Dave Richards well understands.

pps: Carmel Apples, Apple Jacks, Apple Juice, ....

Last edited:
FWIW, all my computers are Dell, but the Apple Airport Extreme router is the best I've used, including Linksys, and several other brands. In nearly two years, it's been trouble free - never even neede a reboot. I like it.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Apple, but I do own an iPod 2.

So Jim are you saying the Apple Airport Extreme router will work well with a regular computer using windows?? I may have a need for one. Whats the cost??

From what I have heard, they make good stuff. I just don't like that flavor of Kool-aid. I am more of an Android person.

I went from an iPhone to a hotrod Android, and now I'm back with the iPhone. I generally dislike Apple products for a variety of reasons, but I prefer their phone over the others.