Any HVAC experts?

Well as I hinted at last weekend, our AC is real close to being shot. Being that it is from 1986 range, we can't just switch the AC. So a total replacement is in order. I got 3 prices on 3 different levels. What I don't get is SEER ratings. Anybody know enough to help a guy out? The furnace will be a 95% eff model. Be glad to get rid of that dang chimney sticking out of the roof, that's for sure.

You might take a look at other areas, such as insulation and window replacements, even window tinting for that matter also. Nothing against the high-effiency appliances, but keeping the cold/warm in/out is a big factor in how much they have to run.

Our first house was one that was built in the 20's and had absolutely no insulation in the walls and single pane windows through out. The new furnace and a/c ran a lot until we got all the walls insulated, windows caulk (mostly shut, left some key ones openable), and holes blocked off. But even on the newer homes, the blow-in insulation in an attic typically settles over time and gets more compacted or kicked around when running new electrical and such. I'm needing to add some in my current house now as it's only got batts and have leaks I can feel in the winter, the blow-in usually seals these up places the batts miss.

You can do a pretty simple audit yourself using a $12 infrared temperature device from HF (http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-pocket-thermometer-93983.html). I used one to go around on a cold/warm day to see where I had leaky windows voids in the insulation and such to see where I could do some pretty inexpensive improvements.

If you've got an attic fan, be sure you've got it boxed in and insulated as well when not in use during the winter. I had one rental house that didn't and cut almost $100 per month in heating out just by closing doing that.

My last house had a wall of floor to ceiling windows. During the summer, our living room became a sauna during the daytime with the sunlight shining in. Not to mention the thermostat was in that same room, really through off the balance of the house with the AC running all the time. We had a company come out and put some reflective tint on the inside, was only about $250, but man what a difference.

We have replaced most of the windows, added more insulation to the attic last year. I do want to replace the kitchen door, but that is another thing on it's own. (She wants this and I want that.) House is in good shape for a mid-sixty's build. It heats well and holds it just as well. When she gets home this evening, we are going to decide on which package to get. I can get a $300 rebate from the elect company and $800 from the HVAC, so that helps. Also going to get a energy management switch installed once HVAC is replaced. Elect company will knock a little off the monthly bill for this.

Forgot to add, I also added a ridge vent last year, that really helped cooling in the summer. If I could do something about the dark red brick.

You have no idea how bad I want to paint this house. It would help on the cooling so much. Pink is a bit much, though:D

I have a friend who owns a brick house that a previous owner painted.... He strongly recommends against it. Looks horrible when it flakes (which it does) and is a REAL bear to clean re-paint. Painting brick is one of those "you can never go back" decisions.

Probably doesn't help with the cooling, but probably absorbs heat for the winter too.

We looked at a house before buying the one we have. The previous owner graded the outside up about 6" over the brick all the way around. Termites took it as an invite and chewed right through the mortar and ate up about most of the inside of the house. I think the folks that bought it had it dozed for the land...went that cheap.

Steve...you realize I was funning you about painting your brick.....I hope..... I would love to have brick. Painting every 6-7 years is a pain too.....I know.... I do it.....

Steve,

In years past there was energy credit (rebate) that you could get for updating your A/C, but if I remember correctly, it depended on the SEER rating. If it was below a certain number, you could not take it, but if it was above a certain SEER number you could take. The In-laws had their A/C unit replaced last year and got the rebate.

May want to look into it that as well. Rob

A few things I learned from my last unit I bought. Most of these units from different companies use the same compressors and parts, so in general don't get sold on brand name quality. Look at seer ratings which will include options like variable speed fans, air return sizes, duct sizes, efficiencies, etc. warranty is important also, they usually vary a lot. When I looked about 4 years ago I didn't think anything over seer 13 was worth the money to me, but that changes over time and by where you live.

Down here also the electric companies offer good financing on new units. Last time I replaced a 17 year old unit it saved me about $50 a month though, which helps.

Last edited: