Margo's Box.....Got payment today:)

larry merlau

well its been awhile, and since vaughn drugded up some old spinny stuff. i figured i should try to even the score on the flat side:) this was a fine example of how Sketchup, thanks to Dave Richards saved time and allowed things to be changed prior to the wood being cut and saved a lot of gas and phone costs. see this was for my youngest daughter's little one "Margo" and she is about 10 months old and loves to be read to, and then plays with the pretty cloth books or the others as well.. so "mitch" scratched the beginning look and sizes and then i drew it up in sketchup and realized it was way outa proportion and to top heavy with the narrow base she had. so we changed it up and sent off a jpg for her to see after the changes had been made.. got the approval and began the cutting. as i got started i realized i could get more width and use the material better so we got more base width to better support the thing in vertical mode, but this was to be used horizontal as well so that made things more interesting.. needed to have some supports so that it wouldnt be laying on the side completely. so we made some special trim to solve the problem and allow for a common look either way it was to be used. so just some regular red oak sides and shelves and lacquer finish with a ply back.
Book case-shellys-SKP.jpg electrons cut before wood:)

book case-shelly 001.jpg book case-shelly 002.jpg book case-shelly 003.jpg

Last edited:
That bead around the outside adds a really nice touch. :thumb:

You're right about sketchup and helping with narrow down final design. My wife doesn't visualize very well, so I've used it many times to even mock up an entire room to verify fit and continuity with the room.

Great bookshelf Larry i also join the choir saying the beading molding adds a nice detail.

Just something i learnt on this side if the ocean to be considered with a tall bookshelf is a tip bracket at the top. Saved my brats when they were younger and tried climbing the bookshelf shelves. ;):)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Does this explain the fairly recent questions about dado depth or was that another project altogether? Such a well organized shop from what I can see in the background! Very nice!

Margo is one lucky little lady. That unit will work for a youngsters books, can do service as a stash for dolls in a few years and grow back into a bookcase for her schoolin' years. Sure to be a treasure for many years to come.

the dado question was asked for some interesting info, i had a prospective project and wanted to see what others used, seeing as i had seen the shallower version used on a project some time back. so rob, what is this tip bracket you mention? the base ended up being 18.5" wide and is 13.5" deep and 66" high. the more i use beading the more i like it. i can see why it was used as much as it was back in the old days.. as for the clean shop well that was just one spot:) the rest of it was under the rug:)

Larry,
Back when we lived in earthquake country (SoCal), all our tall furnityre was fastened to the wall with earthquake straps. The lighter duty ones were velcro. They had a hook piece with grommets in iut, that screwed to wall studs, then the loop piece fastened to the furniture. The heavier duty ones were more like motorcycle tiedown straps, but without the ratcheting buckles.

Mida's china cabinet had two of the heavy straps holding it to the wall, and it survived the Landers and Northridge quakes intact. Several of our neighbors had all their unsecured high stuff tip over.

In SoCal, HD and Lowes both sold the straps. I doubt that's the case there in lower Michigan, but I'm sure you can come up with something similar.

As an aside, we also had most of our small 'knicknacks' secured to their shelves with "Quakehold" - a sort of sticky putty.

+1 on the beading and +1 on tip prevention. Sooner or later a kid will try to climb every piece of furniture in the room. Tip prevention keeps the dresser/bookcase etc. from falling over on them. I just used a piece of that perforated pipe hanging strap screwed to the wall and the object.

Larry, a regular "L" bracket or two can also be used to secure tall furniture to the wall. Something along these lines...

EQ Brackets.jpg

We used that method for securing things like china cabinets and grandfather clocks back when I was hanging pictures in LA.

Sorry only just got back to see this thread. Yeah others answered i used what Vaughn said. Teds absolutely correct. Hey when we was kids we climbed trees so furniture was left alone or behind felt it besides we were not kept indoors like the kids today poor things.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2