I just put a desposit down... Tool revealed. Pics added.

... for an almost-new tool purchase. I will pick it up this Thursday. It is impossible to rent a truck on a weekend on a short notice. :(

I miss Vaughn and his truck.

IMG_3388.JPGIMG_3389.JPGIMG_3390.JPG

Last edited:
Clues thus far:
used 'something, because he said 'almost-new'
costs money, enough so that only a deposit has been paid thus far;
relatively local because he would have borrowed Vaughn's truck if he could;
big enough and heavy enough that he needs a truck;
probably related to woodworking, since he posted here; :rofl:
a 'found' purchase; one he has been waiting to find and did, in a market where he had to pull the trigger or lose out, i.e., short notice about renting a truck on the weekend.
Vaughn likely is closest to be right, as there is a familiarity between the two and Vaughn likely knows what he already has in his shop and perhaps also what he has been lusting after.

So I agree with Vaughn. A major tool like a jointer or planer.

How'd I do? :rofl:

How'd I do? :rofl:

Brilliant deduction Sherlock. Well done :D. Many Home Depots rent trucks. I am not sure if you have to use it for a purchase or not but, if so, buy a sheet of MDF or something. $20 for the first 75 minutes. Another trick I've used in my pre-pickup truck days was to rent a U-Haul, One Way near the seller's location. Depending on where U-Haul needs trucks, you can even get a deal if you will drop the truck at that location. I have actually saved money driving several miles beyond where I dropped the gear off and having someone come pick me up in my car.

Example;
- rent truck in San Diego and pick up tool
- drive tool to North Hollywood and drop off
- drive truck to Tajunga and "return" it
- have friend pick you up in Tajunga for the ride home

BTW, congrats in advance.

Last edited:
No doubt, you guys are a smart bunch of people.

Location is old town Pasadena, about 26 miles away. I thought of renting the truck one way but then I'd need someone to go with me and I couldn't find anyone to go with me on a Thursday afternoon. So I reserved a 14 ft U-haul truck for a round trip. Trucks smaller than 14 ft don't come with a loading ramp.

Maybe you're going to have four lathes, but if I were getting a new tool, my wife would tell me I have to get rid of the old one. Women just don't understand.

Is a desposit an advance payment demanded by a dictator? :huh:

You are right, Dan. I totally forgot about Larry's lathe.:doh:

Roger, my wife has no idea that all three are lathes.:D The deposit was my idea. I wanted to show the seller that I was serious about buying the tool and I wanted him to take the listing off of Craigslist.

...I wanted to show the seller that I was serious about buying the tool and I wanted him to take the listing off of Craigslist.

And of course with it no longer listed on Craigslist, that makes it even harder for us to guess what it is. :D You're a smart man, Mr. Madha. ;)