Wagon wheel question

Eric Black

First off, hello to all
I am attempting some more wheels and looking around the net, I notice some hubs are slightly off center of the wheel. I am just curious as to why. Thanks for any help.

First off, hello to all
I am attempting some more wheels and looking around the net, I notice some hubs are slightly off center of the wheel. I am just curious as to why. Thanks for any help.

welcome.jpg

If they appear that way it's likely an illusion. If the hub is made fairly thick, one side (or both) of it may protrude past the plane of the spokes. But the wheels I've made, or seen, the spokes are 90° (a centerline, the actual angle is acute at the edges due to it attaching to a circumferential rim) to the rim. The spokes themselves may have a taper that brings the hub out past the plane of the rim.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Thanks Mike,
Your explanation makes perfect sense. I am about to start my first goat wagon and was thinking of changing my spoke shape which had me looking at different wheels and noticed on some wheels the illusion of “leaning spokes”.
The hubs on goat carts seem “stubbier” than what I have made so far so I will have to experiment with that as well. This is my last set of wheels. Thanks again

cannon wheel.jpg

Welcome to the family Eric! Looks like a fun project, please post some pics, would love to see how they turn out. I helped my nephew reproduce a few spokes for some small wagon wheels a while back. I need to go down and get some pics of how his turned out.

No advice on the wheel-making from me, but I wanted to compliment you on the one you showed the picture of. That's very nice looking work. :thumb:

Thanks Darren, Vaughn
I will post when I get going on the cart after lurking for some time hopefully I will be able to contribute back a bit.

Model wagon wheels

Probably a little late for a reply, but some wagon/cart wheels are definitely canted, have alook at this model i made a few years ago, and a page from the plans show it clearly, I beleive that the spoke was supposed to be at 90Degrees to the ground when in motion

cheers
Graham from NZ

Thanks Graham, I think I need to just buy some plans as there are lots out there. I did manage to find a example of canted spokes at 3 degrees which appeared to give the look of off centred spokes. This is where I am at on my latest project which we be used for a school fundraiser, built from pics it’s not to scale or any realistic wagon. But as it’s decorative so I guess that’s fine.

DSC_0189.jpg

I did not change the spoke style but are the smallest wheels I have tried yet. 16 and 18 inch with ten spoke. Unfortunately the 2x were not quite dry enough and two of the hubs started to split. As with everything live and learn. Thanks for your reply and that’s one fine model. I don’t believe I possess the patients or talent for that.

Hi Eric
Thats a fine job your doing, they are not easy models to make ,keeping the scale right is quite challenging sometimes ,
the undercarage on your model is quite similar to the Conestoga I made a few years ago, the large back wheels on that are about 8 inches across.
the 2 parts protruding at the front of yours bolted on to the main pole.Wagon.jpg
Cheers
Graham