Your Views on Chiroprators Please

Jeff Bower

Seeing Dave's thread about feeling no pain made me want to get ya'lls opinion on chiroprators. A few months ago, that nagging pain in my upper left back I'd had for a few years got real painful and then my fingers and part of my arm went numb occasionally. I went to my regular doc for something else and mentioned the pain. They told me it was probably muscle spasm and to let them know if it got worse. Well it did, the numbness was almost constant and the pain was bad. The doc was stumped so they ordered 2 MRI's on my shoulder.

The day after the MRI I went to my parents chiro and he took a quick xray, used some nerve analysis thing and felt around on my back. He told me he is almost positive he can help, needed to review the xrays and would call the next day. He called and said he can fix it and he can start treatment right away. That same day my chiro has shown me the xrays and how my neck is basically straight with no curve to it. This is causing major pinching of the disk and nerves in several places, "Your neck is really messed up" he says, but we can fix that. If I don't try and fix it I'm looking at neck fusion surgery within 5-7yrs. Meanwhile I'm still waiting to hear back about the MRI. 3 days later, the I get a call from my doctor's office and they tell me I have arthritis in my neck and cortizone injections might help but nothing else. By that time, I've seen the chiro 4 times and the numbness is gone, the pain is much less. It's been 2wks now and next week I get xrayed again to see how much the neck has moved back to where it needs to go...I'm happy, very happy and almost pain free. The only thing that I'm not happy with is that the copay for chiro's on my insurance is $35 a pop! My regular doc is only $10, and I do like them a lot but they were no help at all with this, but they were able to bill my insurance for 2 MRI's and 2 doctor visits...:rolleyes:

I'm a true believer in chiropractors now and that's my story...anyone else? :dunno:

My regular doc is a DO, so he will crack my back if I ask and cover it under my co-pay.

My wife was going to a chiropractor for a while when she fell and hurt her lower back. After 4 visits, she still could hardly move and had a MRI scheduled, keeping in mind that insurance wasn't covering the visits. We went to the regular doc also after a few days, and said we didn't need to but to go ahead and do the MRI it was just going to cost us money, he was betting on a swollen disk. He gave her a slight adjustment, gave her some pain pills, and said she'd be better in two weeks. We did the MRI, cost about $500 out of pocket, was a swollen disk and she was better in two weeks. She wouldn't have made it through those two weeks without the pain pills, which the chiropractor couldn't prescribe. Not knocking your chiropractor, just stating all chiropractors are not the same, so check around if one isn't making you feel better quickly.

Glad you're feeling better Jeff.

Jeff,

I think they have their place.

The problem with any medical person.....MD, DO or chiropractor......they are human....they make their mistakes........some are better than others......

I know some people who swear by their chiropractors, and others who swear at them. I used to work with a bunch of people who were philosophically (and religiously) opposed to medical doctors, but they thought chiropractors were the best thing since their "beloved leader". (I'll stop there to avoid going over the CoC limits.)

With the hardware i have in my lower back, I don't intend to let a chiropractor do anything to me. On the other hand, my sister recently got a lot of relief in a few visits with a chiro.

And anecdotally, Phil Brennion (a well-regarded woodturner and teacher) died recently as the result of a long-term disability and paralysis that was originally caused by a chiropractor's mistake. As Ken said, some are better than others.

My 'regular' doctor recommended that I try a chiropractor. I went to the one he uses, figuring if the Doc liked him, I would, too. That was about six years ago, and now I go about once a month. My co-pay is $24.70, and it's well worth it to me.

I have collapsed discs at L4 & L5, and the adjustments help, as well as does the traction therapy after the adjustments. FWIW, the chiropractor suggested trying orthotics in my shoes. I popped about $200 for the first set, and they didn't seem to do much for my back, but a chronic knee problem I'd had for over ten years suddenly went away.

I recommend my chiropractor highly, but I have heard some real quackery stories about several others.

I think it is one of those things, that if you think it helps, then it helps. I go about every 6 months or so. He never reschedules another appointment. He tells me, come back when I need him. My BIL, goes once a week, it's like clockwork. For 20 some years he has had a backache. He won't go no where but the chiro. After those many years, I do believe I would explore my options. I will admit my BIL is some what of a "Always something wrong" kind of person.

jeff another vote for a good one, i have had the numbness and that pain you mentioned, it was so bad that i couldnt hang on to a glass with my right hand, and you know i have a grip, the one old chrio fixed it without surgery, but a bad one messed up a problem area causing it to be where it was.. i have other back problems as well, and went to a new one 6 months ago, she didnt help but the theraputic massage did.. so use one that you have good reviews on and try to stay away from the fusion, its not the answer..once your fused if anything else goes wrong your done..

my father saw his chiropractor religiously, including weekends and holidays, but he never had relief too long.
I saw one once, and coc prevents me from really saying what I think of him.

For years, I would pull my neck regularly. Just rolling over in bed could pull it. No help from the medical Dr. Visited the Chiropractor, and after a month of regular adjustments, no more constant neck pulls. Now, like Steve, I just go by when I feel the need. One visit I mentioned that I had been having stuffy nose or allergies for years - as soon as I got over one cycle, another would start. The Chiro performed a skull adjustment ("jar lid") and something in my sinus popped - no more constant runny nose. When he moved, it took a while for him to recommend a replacement - you have to be really careful when choosing a Chiropractor. I only try a new Chiro after a recommendation from another "good" one.

My wife has some damage due to car accidents, and sees our Chiro regularly (as she needs it) If she skips a month or so, she pays for it.

My Mom has had back trouble for years, but the Chiropractor told her that he could not help her condition and should consider the surgery that was recommended by her Dr.

Chiropractors have a place, but they do not replace your MD, Surgeon, etc. The good ones know their strengths and limitations - and practice accordingly.

My experience mirror's Rick's. Over about 6 months, I had progressively more pain and less mobility in my left shoulder area and neck. I was getting to the point where I couldn't turn my head far enough left to check my blind spot while driving. My good chiro saw me 3 days/wk for two weeks, then 2 days/wk for two weeks. He also talked through my work environment. 10 visits and following his instructions to re-arrange my desk at work, and I had full range of motion. Ever since, I go when I feel like I need it... about once every 2-3 months.

Unfortunately, that guy moved away... I don't like my current chiro as much, but he's doing ok until I find someone I really like.

Having been w/ four different chiros over the years, I think there's a lot more variation in them than in "regular" doctors. My good chiro was just an awesome doc and right on the ball all the time. Another was more "clinical" and his adjustments were too forceful for my taste. One lady I saw was just once was too small to properly adjust me (I ain't big, but she was like 5'4"!). My current chiro adjusts ok, not great, but he's a little off the deep end with the holistic high-fructose-corn-syrup-causes-cancer and chiropractic-can-heal-everything-from-sore-necks-to-impotence schticks that chiros get on sometimes.

I would not be walking today if not for chiropractic care. All the doc could do was give me pain medication. Said I was not a candidate for surgery. I wasn't able to walk so I had better be a candidate for something! I found (recommendation of a friend) a chiropractor that uses muscle testing and an activator. Does not do 'adjustments' as in cracking. My neck is too fragile for that. I'd windup a quadriplegic, so you could say I am real careful who touches me. You can find one of these chiropractors at activator.com which is how I found one when I moved to Nevada. This was at the recommendation of my Arizona chiropractor.

Having said that, I have cut way down on chiro visits due to regular massages, and feel much better overall. With either I go when I feel the need to, not when they say I ought to. I am not in favor of funding their annuity. Its my body. I know how it feels.

Regarding costs. IMHO, to leave how I feel up to the insurance company based on what they will pay for is stupid. (So ask me how I really feel!) I am happy to pay out of pocket. Ask for the cash rate (there is one) and pay accordingly. The insurance rate is much higher as is the cost of complying with all the insurance forms. Negotiate. I once had laser eye surgery done at 1/6 of the insurance rate. I didn't have eye insurance, so I paid cash. They were happy.

Thanks for all the responses...they were about what I expected some that love their chiro, some that are kinda :dunno: and some that have had or heard about bad experiences. I first went to a chiro in high school because of hip pain, went once a week during basketball season and he always fixed me up. I went to one when living in chicago and it didn't help at all. Fast forward about 15 yrs to where I am now...my parents found this chiro thru friends at church and they have been helped by him. If they trust him, I trust him and he really has helped me. To start he is "cracking" my neck and back, but once all is where it's suppose to be he will start using the activator for maitenence. Glad to hear many have found help at a chiro!!

For whatever reason, my spine likes to go out of place and I'm going to treat it just like a car and take it in for a regular check up or alignment. I would never think that the chiro would replace my regular doctor, however my fortune teller did once tell me that I would....nevermind...maybe next time.:eek: :D

Like others have said---I use the cheiro or the physician depending on what my problem is. I would hate to have to do without either. I have always been real "Picky" when I have had to choose a new doc---and that includes optometrists and dentists.

Enjoy,

JimB