about Poplar

Not at all. Not as soft as Pine (Janka 420) but, not as hard as Doug Fir (Janka 660). Poplar is Janka 540. Hickory is 1820 and Ash is 1320. For reference, white oak is 1360. Dad used it for workbench legs and in 2" thick, 4" wide pieces it is well suited for that. Easy to rough work but, has the same issues other soft woods do when it comes to dovetails or finger joints.

Last edited:
Are you looking to carve the staffs, draw knife or is your lathe extra long?
We have a tree in Michigan called blue beech that is also know as "ironwood" to some. I made a few staffs/ poles for trapping out of the stuff. It is very hard and has a muscled look to the outside. Very white wood. It will check some when drying. It rarely grow over 6" diameter and is easy to find in 1" to 2".

Thanks guys. I have made staffs from hickory and one from Osage Orange.
I'm gonna make this one really ugly. The last two got into hands of relatives who begged me to let them keep them. I guess I'm flattered, or something. :rolleyes: But, I still want a staff of my own.
Yes, my lathe is a 43 incher. But, the staff will have brass couplings for three 24" sections. I'll be going with hickory and a walnut or OO handle at the top. The handle will be threaded on with a matching tap on the side for resting a rifle.

When I used to go backpacking, I'd always pick up whatever stick I could find and do a little whittling/carving on it during the trip. Would leave it at the trail head for the next owner to find.

I do have one left from those days. I also have another I made from the center part of a christmas tree we had. I've been surprised at how well the pine has held up for that purpose.
FWW-5970.jpg

I have made them out of most any kind of wood I could get my hands on and would not hesitate to make one from poplar.:thumb:
How ever my staff is maple and I have another stick of willow that is in the running to be mine along with a pair of chocolate ones.
Hmmmm me thinks I might just have a few to many sticks. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Popular is often "taught" as a good secondary wood. I can usually buy paint grade maple (bad color, mineral stains) for about the same price, so I use cheap maple rather than popular as my secondary wood.

I made a hiking staff of walnut strips and poplar, glued into a cross pattern (when seen from the end). Then I wrapped it in fiberglass and epoxy. It is light and strong as the dickens. There is a removable knob on top held on by an inset bolt that can also serve as a camera mount.

I've only worked poplar as a turning wood, it's fairly light weight when dry, but not sure how much strength you would have in a stave.... would be light weight if you lug it around a bit. It's pretty wood when you get the greens and blue/blacks running through it. My walking staff is a saguaro rib that I picked up in Arizona about 17 or 18 years ago...