Hanging doors - cutting in for hinges

Chris Mul

Its been a while since a last posted here, but I will see if I can increase the frequency

I'm currently doing a large refurb of an approx 100 year old house in the Uk (Tarrant built) and whilst doing the refurb we are also changing all the doors. We have three floors and UK regulations stipulate that all the doors to main living or bedrooms have to be fire rated.

I do not like hanging doors, especially heavy fire rated doors. So I try to make my life as easy as possible.

for that, I’m using 3D fire rated hinges (Columbus 3D), these hinges when fitted can be altered three ways by simply using an Allen key
Up/down
In/out
Left/right

Untitled by mcluma, on Flickr

They are more expensive, but they are worth every penny when adjusting the door, especially when working with an old house
For fitting the hinges to the door and doorframe I’m using the trend hinge jig. However the radius of these hinges does not match the guide and cutter. That is what I noticed when hanging the cinema room doors. So I had to make 3 new guides which would fit the different hinge radius.

Here you can see that the door has been prepared and I’m now ready for cutting the doorframe.

I couldn’t hang the door as I picked the wrong door from the store room. (I picked a fire rated door and this should have been a normal door as it is for the bathroom):stupid: