Medium size 4 in 1 screwdriver

Dave Black

I had this nice 6" 4 in 1 screwdriver that I got for free years ago but I lost it recently. This is what I carry inmy tool pouch for work. I am having problems finding a replacement for it. The only place I could find it was as promotional giveaways. Which have to be purchased by the 100s. I did see wera has a compact screwdriver that converts to a full size but to change tips you have to take tips out of the handle which seems like a bit of a pain. Any thoughts on a suitable replacement. Btw that free promotional screwdriver that I got almost 20 years ago has been the best screwdriver I ever had.

Well I see them mostly near the register at hardware, autoparts stores, and like places. usually situated at checkout like candy bars. I have on that includes a couple of square drives and three sizes of nut driver if I remember right. I'll tr yand see if it has a name on it if I can remember... I also suspect Amazon would have some but could be wrong..

Did some looking and it looks as if both Klien and Stanly have several different sizes.

Last edited:
I know of 3 different options for you

1- An "autoloader" type of screwdriver. I see them at Canadian Tire and other hardware stores, and Lee Valley carries one also. This is a cool screw driver and you have to see it in action. Here I found a youtube video. IMHO this is a versatile and lightweight tool. I keep it in the kitchen drawer. I probably would not use it in the shop or on the jobsite.

2 - picquic. This one is the most rugged, IMHO. These are at all the major hardware stores around here. Again, the bits are in the handle, but they don't rattle around, and you don't have to unscrew the end cap.

3 - A reversible tip screw driver, such as this one from Milwaukee Tool. The pictures don't do it justice. each tip is reversible, and so is the shaft, so you just pop it out and flip it around and stick it back in to change tips. It's very strong and works well.

I don't care for the milwaukee one since it is designed specifically for electricians, and so one end of the shaft is single purpose. We have a no-name version at work in the server room (that a technician forgot there years ago) which has more tips in it, but it doesn't have a brand name so I don't know where else to track it down to buy one.

I'll check those out. When I looked at the stores the problem I had was finding one that was not full size but bigger than a stubby. Iirc the one I lost was 5.25" long and the handle was slimmer than a normal full size which fit perfectly in my service tool pouch I carry on my side everyday.

Okay, more info...

I went to the server room and grabbed the reversible-tip screwdriver there. It's not easy to get good shots with a built-in webcam, but I did my best.

Here, looks like an ordinary screwdriver:
klein1.jpg

But the tip comes out, and the tip is in a reversible sleeve, which itself is in a reversible sleeve:
klein2.jpg

So when you take it all apart there are four reversible tips, for a total of 8 tips, and I think the shaft doubles as a nut driver also, but I'm not sure about the size:
klein3.jpg

We've got two phillips, two slotted, two Robertson, and two torx on it, which is extremely versatile for our use.

Best of all, I got a name off of it, Klein Tools, and looks like the company still exists in the USA, here is a link: http://www.service.kleintools.com/Tools/PRD/Category/Multi-Bit%20Screwdriver/Nut%20Driver%20SCREWDRIV-MULTIBIT/Product/32500

We only use the Klein screwdriver in the server room. So I know it works well for taking apart computers and racks and so on. But I have no idea how it would bear up under the kind of torque you use when screwing into wood, or on a jobsite. It'll probably be fine, but I have no experience myself.

best,
...art

Okay, more info...

I went to the server room and grabbed the reversible-tip screwdriver there. It's not easy to get good shots with a built-in webcam, but I did my best.

Here, looks like an ordinary screwdriver:
View attachment 67984

But the tip comes out, and the tip is in a reversible sleeve, which itself is in a reversible sleeve:
View attachment 67985

So when you take it all apart there are four reversible tips, for a total of 8 tips, and I think the shaft doubles as a nut driver also, but I'm not sure about the size:
View attachment 67986

We've got two phillips, two slotted, two Robertson, and two torx on it, which is extremely versatile for our use.

Best of all, I got a name off of it, Klein Tools, and looks like the company still exists in the USA, here is a link: http://www.service.kleintools.com/T...r/Nut Driver SCREWDRIV-MULTIBIT/Product/32500

We only use the Klein screwdriver in the server room. So I know it works well for taking apart computers and racks and so on. But I have no idea how it would bear up under the kind of torque you use when screwing into wood, or on a jobsite. It'll probably be fine, but I have no experience myself.

best,
...art

klein makes good tools, I have a few things from them. I have a lenox brand equivalent of that screwdriver but I think its close to 8" long I need something about 6" or a little shorter, which seems to be the difficulty, I may just have get used to the idea of a bigger screwdriver.

P1030732.JPG

Dave here is my collection of that type of screwdrivers except for a couple that seem to be AWOL right now.

The two red ones are made by Enders Tools USA......

They are still in business but sell by the pack to retailers. and their site site specifically mentions setting up for impulse buying right by the register...and they will private label.
Must be why I have so many impulse buying. Actually I did field work and had one for the road and one for home plus one for each of the RV's and then sometimes I need one when I was out without one....
PS the red Enders has held up real well but I think my favorite is the Irwin...

I would bet they have something in the size you want at a Grainger showroom.

Garry

Last edited:
I still think I will try a stubby barrel in a full size handle, there were plenty of times I wished I had a bigger handle for more torque.

Dave they are only unavailable in carded they have 12 packs on the site...

http://www.enderes.com/catalog/index.php?SCREEN=item&sid=acI0DNt0r1WsRgQM&department=15&item=17

So any retailer that handles them should have them..

If you want I'll check my local hardware that used to carry them. Shipping should be reasonable and he is only a couple miles away..

Garry

Dave they are only unavailable in carded they have 12 packs on the site...

http://www.enderes.com/catalog/index.php?SCREEN=item&sid=acI0DNt0r1WsRgQM&department=15&item=17

So any retailer that handles them should have them..

If you want I'll check my local hardware that used to carry them. Shipping should be reasonable and he is only a couple miles away..

Garry

thanks for the offer, I want to try the stubby/full size hybrid first, after thinking about having a larger handle I kinda like that idea. If that doesn't pan out I may take you up on your offer. Thanks Garry

There's a rack full of 6 in 1 screwdrivers in two sizes at the local borg. They also have ones that shoot the bit out with a spring, and ones that you push the bit out with a slide, and retract the same way. Get the manual one. My spring one kacked after 6 months, but the manual one lasted until the dog chewed on it, which was a couple years, and there was no sign of wear. I have boxes of screwdrivers, but that's the one I use all the time.

I think its close to 8" long I need something about 6" or a little shorter,

They don't give sizes online, not that I can find, but the Picquic Dash 7 looks like a "medium sized" unit, maybe it would suit. (sorry, the website is flash-based and I can't link directly to that unit. It's the green one on the lower-right corner of their home page.)

They are available in the US, but not as widely in Canada, judging by the list of retailers.

Wait, never mind... They're available from amazon. (Link is to a 3-pack of assorted sizes, just search for picquic to see more options.)

Dave, What's the link to the promotional ones you found that need to be purchased in quantities?

I know what Brent is thinking... Order up a set branded with "Family Woodworking" and send them to Larry to distribute next time he's on a tour-de-wood... :rofl::rofl: :huh: